Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY Cougar shot thurs-8/23 rumor or fact-6K. >

NY Cougar shot thurs-8/23 rumor or fact-6K.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Cougar shot thurs-8/23 rumor or fact-6K.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY Cougar shot thurs-8/23 rumor or fact-6K.

c'mon, we all know they dissolve when killed, kinda like vampires...
Old 08-29-2007, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

If he went as far as getting on the roof, killing the animal, why not take a picture?
Old 08-29-2007, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: farm hunter

nothing - haven't heard a peep. Not even the story in the paperabout camden.

call your friend and ask whats up?
I just spoke with him and he repeated the same story. I spoke with his secretary and she said the same thing except it was an ear tag not a tracking collar. They both said that a warning was put in the camden paper about a large cat being seen in the area.It mentioned about small livestock missing and for residents to be alert. my friend is going to fax me the warning that was put in the camden paper when he gets home from work tonite. When i get it I will post the date when the story was printed and exactly what was said in the warning. There was never any mention in any paper of one being shot. The incident involving one being shot was word of mouth. My intent was not to start rumors but I wanted to know ifanyone up in that area had heard this same story.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

I believe LIAF 100%. I know of one that was shot in Munsville (Oneida area).
Old 08-29-2007, 11:10 AM

Another cat with no picture. This story is good somewhere at least a couple times a year. I've got friends with the same story but no hard evidence but swear on the sightings.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Vampires don't just dissolve. Do they??
Old 08-29-2007, 02:43 PM

ORIGINAL: LIAF

I just got off the phone with my friend who lives on oneida lake(north Bay)and this is the story he told me. App 10 days ago there was an article in the camden newspaper about a large cat seen in the town of florence which he says is just north of camden ny(6-K I think). The news paper said to call the local police if one was spotted or ifany livestock had gone missing.He then goes on to tell me that a person living in the town of florence reported that one was in his yard last thurs pm(8/23) and told DEC about it. DEC said that it was not possible. It appears that this person waited on the roof of his barn and shot it with his rifle.He then called DEC back and said they should come pick up there cat since it had a tracking collar around its neck. My friend did not see the animal dead but he claims others had seen it before DEC took it away. He also stated that nothing appeared in the local news papers after the alleged incident.I don't want to start any rumors but would like to know if anyone has heard anything about this situation.
mt lions don't eat livestock. they only eat coyotes...duh!
Old 08-29-2007, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

i just spoke with my friend and he said that on tues 8/28 in the Rome Sentinelon the front page there is a px of a mountain lion. The headline reads" Catamount in Camden" Proof Asked? Below the px of the animal is the heading "Have you seen this mountain lion" On the next page it goes on to say that there were 2 sightings of a large cat like animal in late July and mid august in the camden area. Theyinterviewed the police chief from camden ny and he basically said thatseveral pets have gone missingsince these alleged sightings. He said that if any small livestock goes missing to report it to his department. They then interview someone from DEC and they say until the have solid proof scat/footprints than its just a sighting. The DEC official implies that though improbable it is posssible and if true the public needs to be educated about these animals. I am going by what my friend told me over the phone.If you look at my original post I said the shooting of the cat was told to me(word of mouth) but the alleged sightings and the camdenpolice chief's commentswere printed in the camden weekly. If someone up in the CNY region is able to get the Rome Sentinel and post the exact article in this thread that would be great.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

Here it is...
http://romesentinel.com/news?newsid=20070828-141748

Old 08-29-2007, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

They saw the animal near route 69...They said 69

Quick Reply: NY Cougar shot thurs-8/23 rumor or fact-6K.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.