Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 anyone in NY mad about the antler restrictions >

anyone in NY mad about the antler restrictions

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

anyone in NY mad about the antler restrictions

Old 08-21-2007, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: anyone in NY mad about the antler restrictions

So my question is this if you don't agree with AR than do you believe any hunter should be able to shoot any buck from a BB on up?
Yes - if that is what they want from there hunt.
I don't do that, encourage others not to, but will fight any attempt to make others hunt the way I do.

I believe it should be a 3 point on one side at a minimum
Then you support the targeting of the 60% of the 1 1/2 year bucks in NY that are 6 point or better!!
Please explain how this will benefit our herd, which I am sure you have studied to be able to suggest what our restrictions should be.

Look forward to your explanation.

Steve

Old 08-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Typical Buck

Here in PA they did both and you will get mixed opinions.

I'll wager if you get a handful of deer hunters together, you'll get mixed opinions on just about any facet of deer hunting and deer management. I've already been in a room discussing thingswith a few dozen hunters and it's rare to get half to agree on anything, regardless of the topic.

Such pigheadedness and individualityis probably what makes us go out in a driving rain during hunting season, instead of staying indoors and dry, like "normal" people tend to do.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:24 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for your reply Steve, and I also am not attempting to make others hunt the way I do. I do feel that NY should make some changes, I also feel that there are better ways to change other than AR. I also feel that if any given hunter on any given day wants to shoot a spike than good for them, That should be there buck for the season. Stop the transfer of doe tags, to many wives, mothers, and fathers that don't hunt get a permit just to sigh over tags.I would guess that some of theDMUs that these people are hunting in are not the DMU the tag is for. This in time is why some DMUs have low DMP #'s.

Just a few thoughts, Paul
Old 08-22-2007, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Paul -need to share ideas and local, real info.
Too much conjecture, here say, and unsupported opinions out there.
Good luck this season.
Steve

Old 08-22-2007, 09:45 AM

im under 17 does not apply to me right?
Old 08-22-2007, 11:09 AM
jf5

I believe it should be a 3 point on one side at a minimum
Then you support the targeting of the 60% of the 1 1/2 year bucks in NY that are 6 point or better!!
Please explain how this will benefit our herd, which I am sure you have studied to be able to suggest what our restrictions should be.

Look forward to your explanation.

Steve

[/quote]

Are those deer not targeted anyway under 3" rule??

Please explain howAR failed in other states??
Old 08-22-2007, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think it's a matter of whether it failed or not in other states. If you use PA as an example you will have some say that it succeeded since some bigger bucks are being seen, while others will say that the deer herd in general has been drastically diminished with the many doe permits issued. New York state is much different and more diverse than PA in my opinion. Many who want the antler restrictions here in NY say why not just kill a doe instead, but as others have already mentioned that is not easy in many areas because of the very few doe permits being issued. Interestingly, this is exactly the case in a couple of regions where this pilot antler program is in effect. What incentive will the hunters who care more about getting some meat than horns have for hunting at all in these areas when the only deer they can take is one with at least 3 points on a side? Sure some will say to just get a doe permit in another county, but please inform me how that can be accomplished for more and more hunters who are lucky to have a spot to hunt at all, never mind finding one in another region? Please let's not get into hunting with bow or muzzleloader either where any deer is allowed to be taken. Yes this is an option, but when we talk about what benefits the deer herd in general we are talking about what should be implemented in the GENERAL deer season with Rifle/Shotgun where the MAJORITY of hunting licenses are sold and the MAJORITY of deer taken. The relatively few that are taken with bow or muzzleloader can be considered insignificant in the scheme of things of game management. To me antler restriction is purely for the hunters whose only interest is in getting large antlers to show off with and think that this will somehow improve their chances. Hunters have and will continue to take trophies without it in my opinion, and those who are more interested in hunting for meat will hopefully also have a sufficient deer herd to shoot the deer of their choice.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

What's never been mentioned is managing NY according to region, as is done just next door in NJ.

Some years, the zone I hunt has been 3pts to a side, other years, no limit. Some zones, 2 deer total, others unlimited does... Now that's actual management.

As for SteveNY's argument that 3 pts targets "60% of the 1 1/2 year bucks in NY that are 6 point or better", I got two questions:

1. How is targeting ANY buck, at any time, better?

2. What other optionis thereto limit the average, "few days a season" hunters" from shooting any deer? I'd venture to say that most of these guys have no idea how to age a buck, as I am an experienced hunter and still have trouble doing that in the field other than in the obvious extreme old/young deer that I see.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its my own property, if i want to shoot a spike i should be able to, and last year i had no dmp with the gun.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, NJ really can't be compared to NY. In NJ you basically have a suburban deer herd(lots of deer on small land parcels), while NY is much more rural. Plus, I don't think NY or any state wants to make the rules overly complicated. NJ is a rare exception I guess where there are more regulations than anyone can possibly familiarize themselves with. Just not cost effective for a state game department to consider such a plan when things could be made a lot more simple.

Hunting in my opinion should be kept simple, and keeping the long existing rule of a legal buck being anything over a 3" spike will continue to do just fine. Very few bucks will be shot that are not legal size in this way also, while more than a few are left to rot in areas with antler restrictions. Those who don't want to shoot the spike buck can let it walk, while those who would be happy with it can take it. I don't see why hunting and managing deer needs to revolve around how big a bucks rack is. This is purely logic of hunters who would do anything for that almighty trophy rack. Managing deer numbers, what should be the goal of state game departments, has very little if anything to do with antler size.

Quick Reply: anyone in NY mad about the antler restrictions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.