Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 hagerstown, md any public land in the area for bow >

hagerstown, md any public land in the area for bow

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

hagerstown, md any public land in the area for bow

Old 08-16-2007, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default hagerstown, md any public land in the area for bow

hey guys,
i was just wondering if anyone knew any good area,s in or near hagerstown to bowhunt, i hunt in the parks in baltimore co, and howard co, but getting tired of the drive,
i asked around at keystone and the guys there just treated me like i was an ass,
im not trying to hunt in their shirt pocket i was just looking for any public land i might be able to check out,
one guy at wal mart told me of an agg farm but being in the area for only 2 years i dont know were it is , if someone would enlighten me with some directions i would appreciate it ,
thanks again
and good luck this year

dr kill
Old 08-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hagerstown, md any public land in the area for bow

I bet the Ag farm he was talking about is the WVU land I have heard about. I believe it is in the area of Keedysville but I don't know for certain. The Frederick City watershed has lots of public land that should keep you busy for a while. You can get there by driving through Gambrill State Park and continuing until you enter the watershed. The other entrance is through the community of Mountaindale just off Rt 15N.
Good Luck...
Old 08-21-2007, 02:56 PM

Do a search for the Indian Springs WMA. It is located a few miles north of Clear Spring.
Oh what the heck. Here is the webpage:
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclan...ansprings.html
Old 08-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

THANKS BOYS,

GOOD LUCK THIS SEASON
CYALL THERE
Old 08-22-2007, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dr,

There is also a lot of public land in WV (Sleepy Creek), just southwest of Hagerstown, if you'd care to check that out.

It's a shame those keystone guys acted like that.

I was in a gun shop (Valley Guns, Inwood WV) yesterday. I walked in just to look around. There were two employees and 1 other customer. I was in there for 10 minutes and they never even addressed me or asked "can I help you?". I just walked out swearing I'd never go back there. For some reason it seems like a lot of the smaller "pro shops" have some kind of attitude, like they are doing the customer a favor...piss poor business practice.

It was not that way at Spark's in Martinsburg (unfortunately, they are closing, as the owner is retiring). The "ace" guy in their shop though (his name is "Curtis") is opening up his own shop on route 11 between Martinsburg and hagerstown (called Tannerman's) after January 1, and I recommend everyone give his place a try as you will never be dissappointed with the info, service, or technical prowess he has to offer....sorry this post is so long
hb
Old 08-22-2007, 09:08 AM

I forgot to mention the guys at Keystone in my response on your first thread. I try to avoid Keystone as much as possible, those guys in there are pretty much worthless. It is important to note the Keystone in Hagerstown is different than the sponsor on here that is in PA. The Keystone in PA is awesome and those guys have always been very helpful, unfortunatly the PA Keystone is a 45 minute ride from my house.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

THANKS HILLBILLY ,
YEAH I KNOW OF CURTIS I HAVE BEEN IN THERE A FEW TIMES LAST YEAR JUST SHOOTIN THE SH#T
I WILL CHECK OUT HIS SHOP THANKS FOR THE INFO,
I USED TO KNOW A GUY IN INWOOD AREA I ALWAYS CALLED HILLBILLY NAMED ERIC , HIS BUDDY WAS A GUY NAMED PAUL AND PAUL JR , THAT AINT YOU IS IT?
Old 08-22-2007, 08:15 PM

Hillbilly, I also know Curtis, and have shot the S%$T with him a many time. That is awesome that he is going to be opening his own shot, and I can guarentee you that I hill be paying him a visit.. I guess he changed his mind cause when I talked to him 3 1/2 weeks ago he was set on going to Keystone, sounds to me he made the right decision....
Old 08-23-2007, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1

Dr,

There is also a lot of public land in WV (Sleepy Creek), just southwest of Hagerstown, if you'd care to check that out.

It's a shame those keystone guys acted like that.

I was in a gun shop (Valley Guns, Inwood WV) yesterday. I walked in just to look around. There were two employees and 1 other customer. I was in there for 10 minutes and they never even addressed me or asked "can I help you?". I just walked out swearing I'd never go back there. For some reason it seems like a lot of the smaller "pro shops" have some kind of attitude, like they are doing the customer a favor...piss poor business practice.

It was not that way at Spark's in Martinsburg (unfortunately, they are closing, as the owner is retiring). The "ace" guy in their shop though (his name is "Curtis") is opening up his own shop on route 11 between Martinsburg and hagerstown (called Tannerman's) after January 1, and I recommend everyone give his place a try as you will never be dissappointed with the info, service, or technical prowess he has to offer....sorry this post is so long
hb
A; Tom Millay at Valley Guns is 100%..and you obviously want to be high pressured,which is NOT his style...I've known Tom for over 30 years....your bad report is uncalled for.... and as for Sparks... I remember when Sparky Pharr had the store downtown Martinsburg, buying the store from Spickler......there's a reason Sparks is closing.....
Old 08-23-2007, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah FowlBuck, I just spoke to him on Tuesday and that's what he told me and I was very happy to hear that. He is a super guy and well respected by all bow hunters I know in this area. I have a feeling his new location may be a little obscure and I'm sure he needs as much "word of mouth" as possible. The place is going to be located across from the car wash that's just north of the 7-11 on rt 11 north of Martinsburg. Take care.

Dr. Kill,
No that's not me. WV is full of hillbillies. Take care

Rem,
Sorry bud, but I call them like I see them and "no" I don't like to be pressured. I do like to be GREETED when I enter and stand around insomeones place of business for an extended period(especially if the "help" is just standing around). Perhaps theguy you speak of was not there at the time and perhap he may need to train his staff a little better.

In my opinion, there is only one thing that seperates the 10% of these "mom & pop" stores that are true "diamonds" from the rest of the bricks of charcoal and that is...customer service. Perhaps I'm in theminority of people that have had a bad experience there but as the saying goes "you only get one chance to make a first impression".

Obviously you have something against Sparks and that is your perogative just as mine is mine. Take care.

Quick Reply: hagerstown, md any public land in the area for bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.