Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Buck Or Doe?

Old 01-18-2002, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Buck Or Doe?

Jason, Make it a nominal fine if you turn it in and a whopper if you don't. Most guys are honest and will comply. They may grumble but I'll bet they get just a wee bit more careful!.

Adult deer, shed bucks, in doe season... same as a button

WVA has the answer to your check station problem... convenience stores get less than a 1$ stipend for checking deer. It's been a few years since I got this fact and the number may not be perfect. They do it to get traffic in and sell coffee, gas, slim jims etc because of it. they look at the deer, count points, check sex and ask what area it was shot in. 60 seconds or less. BTW they love it when a whopper comes in... they sell even more pop and coffee when a crowd forms!
Old 01-18-2002, 02:53 PM

Md does it the same way, the girl behind the counter at the Texaco checks them in. Takes about 1 minute. I guess the station gets paid per deer, or per season, but it's pretty easy. The DNR takes over with a scale and tooth aging on random days at random stations to get their data. Works just fine as far as I can see.
Old 01-18-2002, 02:59 PM

That is a GREAT idea BTBowhunter. It would bring more money into the convenience store and any hunter has a convenience store close to them. The only thing that I can see going wrong is that people wouldn't take the deer to the check station. But, it would help out with the honest people. You can't have a perfect answer, but this one is close to it.

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet
P.S. Only Chuck Adams can sit at home and see deer so get into the woods. =;^)
Old 01-18-2002, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll go with the the check stations as far convienient stores, I guess I was only thinking PGC run and regulated sites...like the bear check stations.

Do you lose the deer if you turn it in?
Old 01-18-2002, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think confiscation would be counterproductive and give the guy very little incentive to drag it out of the woods. JMHO!
Old 01-18-2002, 07:06 PM

I've already heard the subject of fines for illegal bucks if AR pass next year from a couple guys. If they fine you AND take your deer, what's the sense of dragging it out in the first place. If they just fine you and you can keep your deer you'll have a better return. Myself being one of those guys who shot a button buck the last two years and tagged it with my antlerless tag(cause that's what the law states), I can tell you that I will not be shooting ANY antlerless deer until my Antlered tag is filled. Maybe during archery season when it is easier to identify the sex, but in gun season I think it's too hard to tell from the distance you can shoot. If I and others pass up a couple does next year not wanting to take the chance that they are buttons, won't this defeat the whole idea of shrinking the doe herd. Don't get me wrong, if the law states tag your deer with the sex appropriate tag, then that's what I'll do. I don't break the law, but I'm not gonna take the chance that it may be a button either. I do agree with the idea that if you shoot two buttons then your hunting is over.
Old 01-18-2002, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Same as in NJ small stores like Wawa do the checking for us and only takes a few minutes and it brings in extra money to the store.

I like the buck or doe season tags and have mentioned to before too. Like another said it might not be perfect but its better than it is now.

Rob I don't think that a lot of PA are in the slobs catagory. I know you have your share but not most just a few and I think that PA will be better off for it even though the slobs are out there.

Brian
Old 01-18-2002, 08:53 PM

I heard at one of Gary Alt's meetings when he first took over that he admitted he was new to manageing deer I was there.He said he would look into other states on how they manage their deer herd.Ohio has check stations conv. stores, bait shops etc.I think everyone here is not looking for anything special for themselves we all just want to find some way to get a more accurate figure on just how many deer in Pa are harvested each year.How many acutual bucks and does.The way it is now if 6 deer are shot
2 adult doe and 2 each of its fawns they are tagged as all doe the figures the PGC will use is a total of 6 doe.IN reality it could very well be 2 adult doe and 4 bucks.
If you look at mother natures standards we all who shoot a button buck and tag it as a doe are breaking the law.Some how Pa has got to come up with a better system on how many actual deer are harvested and what they are.
I think whether you are for A/R or any other proposal every hunter should want to know the real figure.Then you can manage from there.
Old 01-19-2002, 09:55 AM

Yes, the numbers of deer recorded in our "counting system" right now is totally wrong. I believe that since QDM is what the future holds for us here in Pennsylvania. Why not try to have the best QDM plan out there. Get as accurate with the totals as you possibly can. Set up LOTS of food plots, put out commercial/adds/magazines/movies/television shows on QDM. I think that the Game Commission should go ALL out on this, if they are going to do anything at all. Another thing that they SHOULD do, is set up a law that no new outfitters can come in and set up. Then we could have a huge buck state that is still a natural habitat for animals. We would probablly have a TON of out of state hunters want to hunt here because they don't have to go through an outfitter. You know, REAL hunting.

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet
P.S. Only Chuck Adams can sit at home and see deer so get into the woods. =;^)
Old 01-19-2002, 10:27 AM

I believe I am on the same track as you Buck Magnet,but I don't know how the PGC could stop people with private land.I guess they would have to make it a law against charging people to hunt deer.If you think about it nobody owns any deer in Pa whether it be on private or public land.You have to obtain a permit to even raise deer.So why should anyone have the right to benefit from any deer in Pa.Just my own opinion.

Quick Reply: Buck Or Doe?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.