Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

windmills

Old 06-24-2007, 10:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: windmills

I live near the Tug Hill Plateau in Upstate, NY where we have a couple hundred windmills or more. Here's what I know about the windmills spoken about here:

Each landowner who has a windmill negotiates a price for each one to be on their property. I've heard anywhere from $5,000-$10,000. It depends on how long certain people have held out then eventually sold out. They have to be there for a certain# of years. I might be wrong, but I think it is somewhere around 30 years or so. They do make a slight buzzing noise. They do some damage to bird populationsbased on the local study that was recently done. I'm really not sure how much damage they would do to migrating bird populations because they haven't been aroundlong enough. The ones that are located near meare huge.One blade will fit on an 18 wheeler tractor trailer. There are new, smallerwindmills out there that do the same thing and create less of an eye sore. Local municipalities really benefit by theirpresencemonitarily, but there isn't any benefit to local communites as far as power. You would think thatthepower would stay local. They are an eye sore, but it would be nice if the smaller versions could be used more often.Road upon road had to be built so that there would be access for the windmill company to do daily maintenance on each one when needed. It seems like a bad idea, but what else are we going to do? I really don't like the idea of them! It's such a tradeoff because they help the environment in a way and are ugly asall hell.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

I really don't like the idea of them! It's such a tradeoff because they help the environment in a way and are ugly asall hell.

I agree. Most of the money to be made is apparentlyfrom state and federal grant monies andtax breaks for those who own them. They are an abomination on the planet.

Have seensome here in PA, have no desire to see any more ofthem, but they areslated for a part of Potter County that's not far from where I hunt.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are an abomination on the planet.
Rediculous. Mountain top coal removal is an abomination on the planet and will cause much environmental damage as well as will oil spills, "burning off" of natural gas, etc. Rain draining over the concrete pad that the windmill is set on will have ZERO effect on any local trout stream and doesn't do anything but perhaps bother some of the narrow-minded locals.I would think that as hunters most around here would be for more ways for environmentally clean energy...go ahead and prove me wrong.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

...and doesn't do anything but perhaps bother some of the narrow-minded locals.I would think that as hunters most around here would be for more ways for environmentally clean energy...go ahead and prove me wrong.

If they choose to erect windmills within view of your home, would you become a "narrow-minded local", or gracefully accept them? Stating that people who don't want windmills near their homes are somehow inferior to the rest of us, sounds a bit high-handed.

I don't have to prove you wrong. If you'rein favor of more windmills, that is your choice and has nothing to do with me or my opinions on the subject.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

If they choose to erect windmills within view of your home, would you become a "narrow-minded local", or gracefully accept them?
I would accept and welcome them. I think they are pretty cool actually and can't see how anyone would call them an "abomination". The only thing that MAY be detrimental about them is the view (this also may not be "viewed" as detrimental for some peoples' horizon).

In this age of population and energycrisis, pollution,
andsystematicglobal negligence,it is imparative to utilize alternative sources of energy and what could be cleaner than wind? and more responsible for the stewardship of the planet ??(Something that all outdoorsman should be immediately concerned with, imo).

I realize that although many might be for it "on paper", there are many who say "not in my backyard". Well it's got to go somewhere (preferably where there is wind),and if the most detrimental thing about them stems only from our visual perception, that is, to me. largely insignificant. I love to see them because when I do, it makes me think that somebody is on the right track for a change.