Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 how are the pa turkeys doing >

how are the pa turkeys doing

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

how are the pa turkeys doing

Old 05-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Spike

Default RE: how are the pa turkeys doing

I think most hunters played those games before with these tight lipped PA birds. One thing I've been doing more in the past several years, with some productive results, is setting up by a field where you see turkeys on a regular basis, and just sit there and wait them out without calling at all. Hopefully they will eventually work there way right into your lap without ever knowing your there. As much pressure as these birds usally get in most areas, sometimes it's best to play thier game, the quiet game, and just set up where you think they're going to be, or want to be. I know it's not as exciting as calling one in, but sometimes you have to dig deep into your bag of tricks to become successful.But it also depends on the birds mood. That same bird that was quiet and shy one day might come running into your calls the next.
One other method that I believe wouldproduce good results is this: How many times have you called to a bird that just goes the opposite direction. Answer: Have one hunter on one side of the bird doing the calling, and another hunter on the opposite side of the bird not making a sound, until that is, the blast of his gun! I've heard so many hunters experience this exact scenario where they call and call, and just have the bird walk directly away from them.It just might bewhat it takes to tag one ofthese call shy PA gobblers.
Where I hunt in PA, the birds get atremendous amount ofpressure, so sometimes you have to get creative with your strategies.

Good luck everybody, and be safe out there.