Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Pa bowhunters, survey says.... >

Pa bowhunters, survey says....

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pa bowhunters, survey says....

Old 01-19-2002, 07:35 AM
Spike

Default RE: Pa bowhunters, survey says....

A lot of hunters stopped after the first two days, when it was being reported that butchers were turning people away. Most didn't want to butcher themselves, and more importantly didn't want to waste what they might take. This could very well explain the the numbers. No doubt about it though, check stations need to be implemented for a more accurate count. I read where PGC biologists checked 20,000 deer (my numbers may be off) at various butcher shops across the state, so we know that at least those numbers are accurate. But what about the other guestimated 280,000? Personally, I always try to take a doe early in the season. Besides putting meat in the freezer, it builds your confidence and is a good tune-up for when that buck (hopefully) comes along.

Even a bad day in the woods, is better than any day out!
Old 01-21-2002, 03:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Pa bowhunters, survey says....

Chilly,
I don't know how much effect that would have had. Other than the first and second days, the weekdays of our gun seasons accounts for very little of the total and by Saturday virtually all the butchers were taking deer again. JMHO