Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 deer population decline 2a+2b >

deer population decline 2a+2b

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

deer population decline 2a+2b

Old 03-22-2007, 05:15 AM

Default RE: deer population decline 2a+2b

I hunt public land 4c. Over the past 5 years I am 5 for 5 for bucks. With 2 of those being the biggest I have ever shot/seen in PA with one being a nice 130 class 9 point. This past season was the best of all with 3 sightings of big bucks (120+). You just have to hunt for them and spend less time complaining about the PGC. I also missed a 140 class buck this year during the rut.

Note: I have hunted this same general area for the past 15 years. The previous 10 the biggest deer I shot was a 6 point that had the smallest rack you could imagine. All spikes and basket racks. Now it is great.

Also, I park in a lot that holds about 100+ cars on the 1st day of rifle season. A lot full of complainers. I always tell them how bad it is and how I see nothing. hehehehehehehe
Old 03-22-2007, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

How could the Population in 2b have declined when the kill went up this year?
Old 03-22-2007, 05:01 PM

Not trying to defend anyone, but each situation is particular to it's own set of circumstances. My areas in 2b have been pretty bad. However, 2b could be thriving elswhere. I think things were managed much better by county than WMU's anyway. I'm not trying to get into a pissing battle by all means. I hunt hard, scout, and even find sheds every year. All of the sudden, one guy has a good year or doesn't hunt the same woods as I do and then I'm full of sh#t and there are deer everywhere? As for the comment: "how could populations decline if the kill went up this year?" Take a look at that sentence! Contradicting? Usually, if you kill more, there aren't as many. But maybe I misunderstood that?
Old 03-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: chuckclear2000

As for the comment: "how could populations decline if the kill went up this year?" Take a look at that sentence! Contradicting? Usually, if you kill more, there aren't as many. But maybe I misunderstood that?
C'mon, really!
You are referring todeer pops in the '06 season. The kill in '06 was up. Am I missing something?
Old 03-22-2007, 06:32 PM

all im saying is that they need to mayb cut back on certain game lands and only allow a certain number of deer to be taken each year permits issued. i hunt a 4000+acre game land in beaver county and i have seen mayb a dozen deer in the past year. the small game population has declined u can walk all day and not see a track or any form of life. i hunt on public land also and i could get a deer if i wanted but its just the fact of these people going out and getting a dozen doe tags and killing off the herd in an area which they consider 2b but might not be as populated as other areas. they need to go back to the county by county system.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:08 PM

Duck you say you can walk all day where you hunt and dont see anything.Why would you keep hunting there.I'm not trying to disrespect you but why not look for greener pastures ?
Old 03-23-2007, 01:17 PM

i have alot of places to hunt. im just pointing out that were spending all this money on licenses to fund the pgc and it doesnt seem like they are doing anything to manage their lands that are open to the public.its just the fact that they are supposed to be places where u can go and see wildlife and this seems to be non existant here thats all..
Old 03-23-2007, 02:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know a lot of guys who hunt gamelands(sometimes myself included) who would really disagree. SOME places may not be that great, but to lump in and say all, is silly.
NO offense, but are you a good hunter/woodsman? You sound young, many people don't see a lot of game when they are young just because they are still learning quite a bit.
Most every gamelands I've been to has had great habitat. Lots of thickets and nice places, all full of small game. I think small game on gamelands is probably better than the deer hunting.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:55 PM

ive hunted for about 10 years on my own and have been in the woods since i was prob 5. i have gotten my fair share of game to prove it. i know how to hunt thats not the fact. its all these people that go out and buy a new gun the week before the season starts and then goes out and shoots at anything that walks. i just think that the game commission could do a better job of managing the wildlife on the game lands
Old 03-23-2007, 06:28 PM

Duck to some degree I would have to agree with you about people shooting at targets with reckless abandon.In my younger years I was'nt very zealous about wearing orange.Then I moved to Pa.Each year I've had close calls with careless shooters.The kind that dont consider whats beyond,around or near there target.So now I wear blaze orange religiously and I make my son wear it head to toe.I have spots picked out before opening day and we set there all day.Our 1st year here my oldest boy had such a close call he wont hunt gamelands anymore.This spot is located off Croushour Rd in 2A.

Quick Reply: deer population decline 2a+2b

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.