Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 deer population decline 2a+2b >

deer population decline 2a+2b

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

deer population decline 2a+2b

Old 03-24-2007, 10:48 AM

Default RE: deer population decline 2a+2b

i have been peppered numerous times during pheasant hunting. i know that can be expected for the number of people hunting in an area in the first few days of the season. i now raise my own pheasants for the private land i hunt and provide food plots and cover for them, i bringmy younger brother who has just started hunting this year to hunt only, this seems to be alot safer then the game lands.for example i was hunting on private property last yearwhen a doe came underneath my stand and some guy from a wooded driveway decides to shoot at it from his car, i was in a clear cut power line and the guy was totally oblivious to my safety.its people lik that who give hunters a bad rep.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:46 PM

This weekend I was shed hunting on gamelands in Fayette county (2A).I found a nice 3 point that someone either shot and could not find or shot and realized was not legal.Either way I found it and its kind of cute.Later that day I was searching in a different part of the same place and lucked upon a real nice left side with 5 points and a small kicker.I never even knew that deer was there.Now I do and I sure hope he comes thru my funnel next season.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

i hunt a portion of 2B that allows rifle hunting and is mainly farmland and wood lots. our group used to see 20+ deer a day EASILY. this year was depressing to say the least..definently not what it used to be. seeing more bucks...but most are illegal. heck i think our group only killed 1 legal buck this year. you can rifle hunt for 5 weeks. use a crossbow in bow season. what used to be good hunting has definently took its toll. sad thing is rybo is right. 2b will never see sympathy...i just wish my part of 2b was 1A. we drive across the pike and hunt 1A and its a totally different ball game...same habitat...just alot more deer. and still see alot of buck. they should have drew the line around my potion of 2B..it fits with 1A a heck of alot better and wouldnt have gotten pounded
Old 04-18-2007, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt 2A and there has been a serious decline in the deer population.

I hunt a lot in western Greene Co. There are many, many sub legal bucks but not near as many does as there use to be.

I hunt private land and public land.

The best hunting is on private ground.

There are still a good bit of deer there but not as many as before.

1st day of rifle it was easy to see 30+ deer. Last few years might see a dozen.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I know a lot of guys who hunt gamelands(sometimes myself included) who would really disagree. SOME places may not be that great, but to lump in and say all, is silly.
NO offense, but are you a good hunter/woodsman? You sound young, many people don't see a lot of game when they are young just because they are still learning quite a bit.
Most every gamelands I've been to has had great habitat. Lots of thickets and nice places, all full of small game. I think small game on gamelands is probably better than the deer hunting.

What kind of small game are we talking about? Rabbits?
Old 04-18-2007, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey im not from Pa but just curious whats ur coyote population like?
Old 04-18-2007, 09:18 PM

A dozen opening day.Windwalker I hunt down there also Ive seen the decline down there Im on private property to boot.Opening day 3 deer 2nd day 0 deer first Saturday 0 deer where did they go.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, it has really slowed down.

I see as many sub legal bucks as does.

Lots of small bucks.

It is kinda funny. when you drive to hunt another area, I've seen them standing in fields with No Hunting signs plastered on every tree.

They really move to posted grond once the pressure is on.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:20 PM

When I first started hunting in Pa all I heard about was Greene county.At first it looked like a great place.We would spot light in the Gerrards Fort,Kirby area.Man did we see a truck bed load of shooter bucks.So we made plans to hunt Kirby opening day I hunted all day and only saw 2 does.Never again.I'm staying in Fayette county off Croushour Rd and Dembo in Wash County.Dembo however does'nt seem to have as many does as the first two years I hunted there.We still kill a few there every year though.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: findinbone

When I first started hunting in Pa all I heard about was Greene county.At first it looked like a great place.We would spot light in the Gerrards Fort,Kirby area.Man did we see a truck bed load of shooter bucks.So we made plans to hunt Kirby opening day I hunted all day and only saw 2 does.Never again.I'm staying in Fayette county off Croushour Rd and Dembo in Wash County.Dembo however does'nt seem to have as many does as the first two years I hunted there.We still kill a few there every year though.
You gotta go farther west.Stay on 21 and go through Waynesburg and almost to the WV line.

Take a ride around in this area on some Sunday in October. You will see deer without a light. Problem is, most are on posted ground. Try and get permission on private land. There is Ryerson state park but it has been over hunted the last few years. I use to get a deer or two there every year but the population is way down. Hunt it all day and don'tsee anything. Private ground is your best bet but it is hard to get permission.

Quick Reply: deer population decline 2a+2b

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.