Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 FEDS PLAN STUDY OF COUGARS >

FEDS PLAN STUDY OF COUGARS

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

FEDS PLAN STUDY OF COUGARS

Old 03-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default FEDS PLAN STUDY OF COUGARS

feds are reviewing cougars here in pa.here is [email protected].

sighting are showing up bigtime in the williamsport, montoursville, watsontown area..PGC says they dont exist,residents of lycoming county areseeing cougar..PGC says, they are bobcats..residents said do bobcats have 2 ft tails?last cougar killed in my area was in 1967,potter county ,pa..

PGC is fed up and said to contact the feds on cougars as they said COUGAR DOES NOT EXIST!!
Old 03-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: FEDS PLAN STUDY OF COUGARS

You posted an email address - not a link.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:44 AM

Sproulman, you "almost got it right." Except for that little bit of distortion.
Those are not "sightings." Sightings are "proven." They are "claimed to be sightings."

PGC does not say, "they don't exist." PGC says that they know of no breeding population of "wild" mountain lions.

Many of the "sightings" have been proven to be bobcats. In the most recent one that I am aware of in the Williamsport area, some mysterious person walked in all the "cougar" tracks prior to the PGC arriving. Funny ain;t it how when they so show up to investigate --- the tracks have been trampled.
Even so, the WCO did find tracks and verified them to be bobcat. Of course the guy who saw the cougar immediately said they was too small to have come from the cougar he saw. Imagine that, the PGC finds bobcat tracks within 100 yards of the trampled cougar tracks and the guy claims it was a different animal what made them!

In another "claimed sighting" where a picture was published in the newspaper it turned out be be verified as ---a housecat!
Pure geniouses and wildlife experts you're listening to there Sproulman.

last cougar killed in my area was in 1967,potter county ,pa..
Yes, and that one was proven positively to have been a pet.

I talked to a guy on Thursday who claimed to have seen five different cougars in hunting season in one area, one of them was "all black."
This was in the Sproul. Funny thing, about 60 people drove many miles on the forest road where ya could see virtually every slope and side hill because there ain;t no habitat. We did find tracks --- deer, fox, rabbitand squirrel tracks. So sorry -- no cougar tracks.

Maybe they are afraid to go out in fresh snow??????

Old 03-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love the "black"mountain lion sightings.Considering no such animal is known to exist in the wild or in captivity,it's no wonder these alleged sightings aren't taken serious.

The other day I heard that DCNR was indeed stocking some.They're easy to identify because they cropped their tails off.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DougE

I love the "black"mountain lion sightings.Considering no such animal is known to exist in the wild or in captivity,it's no wonder these alleged sightings aren't taken serious.

The other day I heard that DCNR was indeed stocking some.They're easy to identify because they cropped their tails off.
i dont want to get off subject..did not i read that MANY DCNR employees reported seeing cougars in pa?

next, i hope you read the articles in paper, 1 person is friend of mine that now lives in mountuorsville,pa...great hunter,he saw cougar and reported it last month..he also wrote article in papertelling PGC to not tell him he did not see a COUGAR..

also women,yes women know what cougar looks like,1 almost hit one with her car in same county, LYCOMING..this was on FRONT PAGE of williamsport gazzette this week..

she stated the COUGAR was close to 150 pds..

another who saw one in his yard, thats one that PGC says was a bobcat, yet,north says tracks were destroyed..

at least the PGC came out and checked tracks, thats more than they have done in last 25 years,their answer is this.. YOU DESCRIBED ACOUGAR ,BUT I DONT BELIEVE THEY EXIST..

now,PGC saysto contact the e-mail i put on here,they dont want involved..
fed gov has been recieving so many calls they are starting this STUDY..
Old 03-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

[quote]ORIGINAL: NorthPA

PGC does not say, "they don't exist." PGC says that they know of no breeding population of "wild" mountain lions.
NORTH,
i beg to differ with you,the answer the PGC has given many for 25 years i know of is this,YOU DESCRIBED A COUGAR,BUT I DONT BELIEVE THEY EXIST..thats what they said,now they are changing it,oh well.. SPROUL
Old 03-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sproul,I don't know what you read but I didn't read anything that stated many DCNR employees are seeing cougars.I know one guy claimed to have seen a mountain lion kill a buck but it was later confirmed to be a bobcat.Being an experienced outdoorsman or hunter doesn't credibility to these sightings because very few peoplePennsylvanians have any experience seeing mountain lions or bobcats.

If all these people have been seeing them recently,there existence should be extremely easy to prove with all the snow we've had this winter.What's up with that?If they truly existed in Pa and people have recently seen them,the evidence would be indisputable.

I don't feel that people are very good at judging the weight of animals,especially one's they've never seen before.Hell,that's obvious from all the 180lb spikes they used to put in the Courier expres.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Still no link that works.

Steve
Old 03-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

Steve
thats all i have, steve..i guess you report your sighting ..you will get a e-mail back from FEDERAL GOV..also PGC is sick of ussportsmen and said to contact the FEDS..it must be REFRESHING tonot have us sportsmen calling them when we think we saw a cougar and it was housecat..
Old 03-10-2007, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

Steve
This is the only article on it that I have seen, try this link.
http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=11&Q=171356

Quick Reply: FEDS PLAN STUDY OF COUGARS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.