Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 FEDS PLAN STUDY OF COUGARS >

FEDS PLAN STUDY OF COUGARS

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

FEDS PLAN STUDY OF COUGARS

Old 03-12-2007, 05:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: FEDS PLAN STUDY OF COUGARS

Here in Maine to report anything along this nature is of a big concern! Here when anything like this was to be documented we have to deal with the Feds making rules and restricting what you can and can not do. So people here are very reluctant to make a report of stuff along these lines. As, you have noticed I have asked a few questions that have remained unanswered. Why were they not answered? It does sadden us that a report was made and an Eastern was discovered that when investigated found to have 3 cubs with her. They were not caught so for now we can say they were smuggled in and let go. This will help keep the Feds away for a little while at least. So becarefull of what you wish for.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:52 AM
Typical Buck

Steve,

N.Y.S.D.E.C. document 8224.3 report by DEC Officer Ed Reed Nov. 3 1993 in Keene Valley of Adirondacks.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Google search had no results.
Do you have a link.

Steve
Old 03-12-2007, 10:04 AM

http://www.easterncougarnet.org/northeast-desc/nydecmemo.htm

document and pictures included
Old 03-12-2007, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is nothing definitive in that report and no physical evidence, ei: tracks, scat, hair or anything to support the OPINION of the investigator.

If it indeed was a WILD ML, why has no other verifiable evidence surfaced since 1993?

Nice try, but it is simply a field report lacking any proof whatsoever.
It does show the DEC does investigate credible reports contrary to what many conspiracists would claim.

Steve
Old 03-12-2007, 11:59 AM

Thanks Cougardaville, you keep helping out the rational side.
From that link:
"The lack of claw marks on the back and shoulders could mean the cat is a declawed animal that escaped or was released from captivity."
Old 03-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

There is nothing definitive in that report and no physical evidence, ei: tracks, scat, hair or anything to support the OPINION of the investigator.

If it indeed was a WILD ML, why has no other verifiable evidence surfaced since 1993?

Nice try, but it is simply a field report lacking any proof whatsoever.
It does show the DEC does investigate credible reports contrary to what many conspiracists would claim.

Steve
steve, i swear if someone threw a cougar on you ,you would deny it was cougar and say you tripped!!
Old 03-12-2007, 05:21 PM

Sproulman, I would agree that the report of a cougar does seem credible. However, you must realize that every bit of information is circumstantial without actual proof.
I would not be surprised one bit if it were a cougar --as the report says, perhaps a pet.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

No ole sproul - that would be proof. Especially if thrown by a minister or old trapper - we all know they are the most credible.

Until then then, a real photo, scat, hair, carcass, even the missing tracks from this winter would certainly help.

Steve
Old 03-12-2007, 08:58 PM

ORIGINAL: NorthPA

Thanks Cougardaville, you keep helping out the rational side.
From that link:
"The lack of claw marks on the back and shoulders could mean the cat is a declawed animal that escaped or was released from captivity."
NorthPa......reading this board whenI can, I have trouble determining when you are being sarcastic and when you are being sarcastic! People like to ask questions and askfor the links to further information. No matter how it is delivered you and "others" have a way of shuttingthem down. You like to embarrass people and ridicule every chance you allget. What pleasure do you get out of this?It seems you, BTBowhunter and DougE. have similar opinions. That is fine,every one is entitled to their opinion, but you also seem to think that your opinions are the only right ones! No one is attacking the PGC in this thread, no one is talking about stocking and all the rest of the stories that have been beat to death, but you insist on brining up the same garbage over and over no matter what the thread contentis about. Are you all game officers? Do you work for PGC? The defensiveness is loud and clear!

[/align]I am certain if I were to post a picture of a mountain lion or a track......the first thing you would all say is the picture was taken in Idaho,Washington, Montana whereverand is still no proof. So why ask for pictures or this type of proof? A dead body of a mountain lion, killed by a car, trapped or from a bullet in the state of Pa .would be proof of the mountain only if you were present. Therefore why would any body in their right minds share that information on this site.

[/align]Maybe if you guys would lighten up a bit, some would share information more freely.

[/align]I personally believe all the mountain lions that are seen in the East have been released or escaped. I don't know who has done this, but what matters is you have a large predator that once depended on a human to survive. Then this animal is dumped for what ever reason into the wild to fend for itself. Some make it and do well others are not having it so easy, these are the ones that people are seeing. These cats do not have the totally wild instincts to hide and be secretive, they are looking for a easy meal with no FEAR of humans. That should cause concern and alarm! Any wild animal imprinted on humans is much more dangerous than one that is of the wild. Imprinting is irreversible, so where does it leave this large meat eater that may not have good hunting and survival skills? It leaves them in trouble! They are hungry and showing themselves.

[/align]I think it is a waste of time and money on the FEDS part to be searching the Eastern states for Eastern cougars that we know are extinct. I think this is the cause and effect of the pro cougar people forcing government agencies to do the study. They still have high hopes a decade later that this animal exist. If they don't do the study, more money than the study will be spentwill be spent in lawsuits.

[/align]PGC and DEC along with every other Eastern agent have claimed over and over these are escapes and releases.......My opinion that's what I believe they are also. My simple reasoning is the way this cat acts. Compare the action of these cats to the totally wild ones in the west where they are known and populated.

[/align]The Wild cats out west are the "Ghost cats".The cats here is the East are a product of a western cat, with an Eastern attitude.....not wild!!

[/align]

[/align][/align]Cougardaville

[/align]

Quick Reply: FEDS PLAN STUDY OF COUGARS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.