Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 is all the snow in upstate new york killing deer population? >

is all the snow in upstate new york killing deer population?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

is all the snow in upstate new york killing deer population?

Old 02-13-2007, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default is all the snow in upstate new york killing deer population?

I know that it is dumb for me to ask this because many people are losing thier lives, homes, and property during this storm.
Do you all think that this storm may wipe out a fair share of the new york herd. I hunt in oneonta where thier is very little snow but other places are recieving up to 8-10ft of snow. How will the storm affect regulations in the 2007 season.

god bless all those who have been affected by this storm
Old 02-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: is all the snow in upstate new york killing deer population?

No more than usual for the areas effected. I mean these Tug Hill areas get 300"+ of snow each year normally (not usually all at once like this though) - but it doesn't usually melt away either once it falls.

The deer will Yard up - andmigrate somewhat - to yarding areas that can sustain them for 2 months or so.

That said - this area will not support 40 deer per square mile either in most areas. Usually a bad winter, will cause deer not to have viable fawns as often, so the population does not continue to rise. There may be some winterkill - but usually - they are adapted to deal with it pretty well.

FH

Old 02-13-2007, 11:10 PM

its got to be hard on the deer population .
Unless its very hard packed they will be struggling .
I,m in the upper N.Y, area and were suppose to get 12 to 24 inches of new snow in 24 to 36 hrs.
Right now we have abought 8 to 12 inches .
But its been very cold for a bought 4 weeks or so .-20 to low 20s . CACACACA cold...........[X(][X(]
Old 02-14-2007, 11:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

90 plus inches where I live in Oswego Co. that on top of the snow I alreadly had. Been a few yrs since gotten snow this deep. But I'm glad to be seeing deer the past few days out moving around. Theybeen workingtrailsto get around, crossing roads I travel. I've seen several feeding on apple tree branches. With the beginning of winter going pretty easy on them, I'm sure they got to put on some good fat after the rut. Plus seeing them getting around now tobrowse is good. They'll be. From what I learned incollege March-April is the toughest months on deer. They've depleted all the winter browse, warmer temps with heavy coats burn more energy,and no new growth yet makes it tough on them.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:10 PM
Typical Buck

I live and have lived in the affected areas of this storm. Come fall and early winter the deer usually sense deep snow and storms coming. They literally high tail it out to areas spoke of earlier where they can winter. These areas are more protected compared to the areas they inhabit during the summer. Deer yards they are called.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

i ask that same question, because i have several deer that live back in my woods and i usually see them a few times a week and since the snow storm i havent seen them at all, so of course i am getting concerned. i hope they are all okay.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

On my way home from work one morning I saw something on the ice on Onondaga lake. I looked at it through my binoculars and saw a coyote feeding on a dead deer on the ice. I watched it several times through out the week. It walked very easily on the snow. The deer can't. Too bad I can't fire a gun there or else that would be one dead yote!!
Old 03-01-2007, 09:43 PM

Being from the Tug Hill area, I can confidently say that the deer know how to deal with snow that's way higher than them.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:13 AM

I live along the Lake and I tend to believe the big problem is when the snow crusts over and dogs and Coys get after them. At least that is what most of the fruit farmers will tell you.