Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 A Crack in the "Rock?" >

A Crack in the "Rock?"

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

A Crack in the "Rock?"

Old 01-29-2007, 04:21 PM

Default RE: A Crack in the "Rock?"

As an insurance agent, you ought to know better than to misuse legal terms. Frivilous lawsuits (something that has serious meaning in the law) can result in sanctions against the filers and their attorneys, yet the judges did not use or imply the term "frivilous" anywhere in their opinion.
Perhaps you missed your calling and should be on the bench -- but you are not.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry for getting off topic here but I have to respond to the discussion on elk.They do graze but they also browse and eat alot of the same foods deer eat.Obviously an elk is alot bigger and needs more food then a deer.It's OK for the elk to browse and destroy the habitat because it's in the name of tourism.
Here's a short clip from the PGC website,

Elk are primarily grazers, eating a variety of grasses and forbes. In winter, they paw through snow to reach grass, or turn to twigs, buds and the bark of trees. Among trees and shrubs, Pennsylvania elk seem to prefer aspen, red maple, fire cherry and blackberry. They also browse oak, striped maple, black cherry, Juneberry and witch hazel. They drink from streams and springs and, if necessary, during the winter they get water by eating snow.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:10 PM

Well DougE (dce) there goes your credability. If your as knowledgable about Oak trees as you are of Elk and their feeding habits you leave a lot to be desired.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:03 PM
Host of Hosts

I love all the new posters weighing in! It's amazing how they all agree with one side of the debate
They must have been out recruiting.

Even if the so-called figures that Ali gave Boop are 30-40% that still leaves 60-70% who must be happy with them. I'm no math major,but thats still a majority.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Doug has a good bit of knowledge on the forestry side of things.He spends alot of time scouting and surveying habitat.He even offers hunting spots to others.My post wasn't intended to and didn't hurt his credibility but it shows our disagreements on certain issues like reducing deer numbers in the name of habitat only to introduce elk in that area.This is one of those things I have to question.Doug and me don't disagree on the poor habitat in areas we're both familar with we disagree on how the deer numbers got so low in those areas.

Sorry again,back on topic with the orgs being discussed.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:14 PM

They must have been out recruiting.
It's the end of the month. Must be behind on meeting the January quota.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:19 PM
Typical Buck

Lord knows why I bothered, but did some checking on CH's comments on previous pages. Not unlike his insistence that it's 40% now and not 30 to 40%, his math on Delaware County's leaving thePFSC was off a bittoo. He cited 7,000 members. I asked and was informed they never listed more than 2,000 members prior to their withdrawal. His buddy Dave should've known that, as he was briefly the Delaware Co. delegate to the PFSC. Then again, perhaps not?

There was some previousmention about lots ofnew membersgravitating to the USP since their ill-fated lawsuit debacle. Greg Levengood (Chairman), stated in a recent issue of PA Outdoor News that "he was encouraged by the sportsmen's support his org garnered during the lawsuit, both with hundreds of new members and contributions to the group's legal fund."

So, I reckon lots amounts to hundreds with today's new math?

Old 01-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: White-tail-deer

I love all the new posters weighing in! It's amazing how they all agree with one side of the debate???

And - its all new and original - never heard before - until......

Old 01-30-2007, 06:07 AM

crack in the rock vs a lost friverlous lawsuit...

think I'll take the crack in the rock. There's always crack spackle.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:34 AM

ORIGINAL: LineHog

ORIGINAL: Pointers

ORIGINAL: LineHog

ORIGINAL: Pointers

Why didn't the USP sue those mid-west coal burning companies instead of the PGC?
Your funny...State'ssued. You can pretend it is nota issue or a cause. The deer did it and the solution is to rid the land of them.
Not pretending. I've never heard one biologist say acid rain is not an issue. NEVER! However, the PGC is not in the business of managing rain, that's the DEP. Perhaps you should be posting your info for them. Better yet call you Rep and let him/her know that you'd like the DEP to file a suit against coal-burning companies and let the PGC do what they are supposed to, manage PA's birds and mammals.

2ndly, I've never heard anyone from the PGC say that the deer management plan is to "rid the land of them".
How about a Forest Hydrologist?

PENN STATE EXPERT BLAMES FOREST PROBLEM ON ACID RAIN, NOT DEER
"They can kill all the deer, but it will take a lot more than that to fix the forests," he said. "The problem is that nothing is growing well. In places where soils are not buffered by naturally occurring calcium, there is no regeneration of acid-sensitive tree species. I'm offering a different hypothesis -- the deer are not the main problem."
http://aginfo.psu.edu/news/may02/acid.html
That's great that he is offering a hypothesis!

Quick Reply: A Crack in the "Rock?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.