Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Intresting for PA Hunters >

Intresting for PA Hunters

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Intresting for PA Hunters

Old 01-18-2007, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Intresting for PA Hunters

I found this in another site thought it was well written and insightful. I don't hunt PA myself but I am hearing a lot of fish and game bashing here so here is someone on the other side.

Yesterday, 03:11 PM
[/align][align=right]Post #1[/align]

skipper

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,885

Perhaps this should have been posted on the Pa. website..but I don't think too many Pa hunters get Hawkeye..
instead..my intent is not to negate this gentleman's feelings or thoughts..but to remind all of us that this is a case in point where we have to remind ourselves that when times are changing..we have to change as well..

as some of you know from reading my posts in the past on this and other sites..I'm in love w/ Pa. deer hunting..
due to years and years of apparent mismanagement of the deer herd..by (in MY opinion)..listening to the desires of the public, both the hunting and non-hunting segment.., Pa. suffered some dramatic population explosions in the herd which caused massive overbrowsing of habitat.. in many areas of the state..

when an attempt was made to help relieve the problem..
1st, by allowing the recent changes in taking of antlerless deer for the length of the 2 week rifle season instead of just the 3 days AFTER the rifle season ended..
and 2nd..by instituting an antler restriction program statewide..with all of the state being a 3 points or better to a side.. and a few wildlife management units being 4 points or better to a side..

all hell broke loose...

locals and non-residents who were used to seeing 50-100 deer in fields..and dozens a day during the season..watched in hatred of the new rulings by the Pa/ Game Commission..as the deer numbers started coming back into check to save the habitat..creating better feed, healthier deer.., a more stable population..and better buck to doe ratios for a more balanced herd..
1 1/2 -2 1/2 yr old bucks were now given a chance to grow to a semblance of their potential...and older, wiser bucks did even better..

traveling thru many portions of the state..you can see browse lines as high as 6 feet off the ground ...and as far back into the forests as you can see..which are indications that Pa. has had an overpopulation problem for many years..too many..when you affect the habitat that severely..these are the areas that Pa. has always got it's reputation as a "small deer" state from.....overpopulation and limited habitat create small deer..

now that the herd is coming into a semblance of balance in many areas..many hunters are complaining because they don't see the deer numbers they used to...

first.....according to Pa density data..the state deer herd is still running close to the same numbers it's always had..
@ 1/2 million deer are harvested statewide annually..and the herd rebounds enough so that.. the following season..the same number of deer are harvested..
the difference however is that harvesting a Pa deer is not as EASY as it used to be..
common sense dictates that if any mammal is shot at..it's going to run and hide..change it's habits to avoid the mass of hunters out in the woods during the season.....Pa's deer herd has done that..the does are now savvy to the fact that when they now see evidence of "Man" in the woods in numbers..they damn sure better scatter and hide...because they are not safe any more like they used to be when they could only be harvested AFTER the rifle season ended..

we've seen the change..in the area we hunt..and it was almost immediate..

Locals, who still hunt the same way they did as boys ..ie...sit on the same exact stand like their dads did year after year..and get their buck by 8am opening morning year after year..after year...are finding that that type of hunting is no longer yielding the harvest results it once did..we hear a lot of growling because they have to pass on smaller bucks due to antler restrictions......most hunt opening day and perhaps the Saturday after..and if they don't get their buck..they look for something to blame..ie..PGC (Penn. game Commisssion)...

we see this firsthand because we hunt with locals..(ON PUBLIC LAND)..

when we stopped seeing deer as plentiful as we did when we first started hunting there..we kNEW...the deer had changed their habits due to hunting pressure...there were still lots of deer..they were still there..they just had to be hunted differently to harvest them.........They changed..so we had to change......when we did..our success rates stayed as good as always..we just had to work a little harder..a little smarter..and had to be willing to make the change..
the bonus to us...was w/ antler restrictions..(we hunt on public land in a 4 points or better wildlife management unit in SW Pa.)
was that we started seeing better bucks..lots better..because they were allowed to grow to their potential.....As they grow older..they grow smarter..and therefore are naturally..harder to harvest....[and nearly impossible to harvest using the old techniques most Pa hunters are used to]..

Change is NEVER easy...but when it comes to saving a sport...changing traditions and methods are worth it..
Were I the gentleman who wrote the article..I'd do some research and take a look at the BIG picture in it's entirety..looking more into the future than the past..and make changes accordingly..
worse case scenario...he may have to move his hunting location til the area he is hunting in recovers..and under the present system..it WILL recover......Change is never easy..
I have too much respect for the sport and the quarry..I don't want it "easy"..The challenge is in the hunt..the bonus is in the harvest..I don't like change any more than the next guy..but I sure love deer hunting..so I change to continue doing what I love..I think the changes being made are best for the future of the sport..and for my g/kids as they grow up hunting..

I invite him to drive a few more hours to SW Pa. where the deer are abundant and heavy..
where locals are warm and friendly...and if he's willing to change the way he hunts a little bit..will have the same chance my youngest son did when he harvested his 143 class buck at 8am on opening morning this past season..on Public Land..

Hunting deer in the NorthEast is a challenge..to meet this challenge and achieve success..we often have to change the way we hunt..and in some cases..where we hunt...I remind you all..if you;re not seeing deer..not harvesting deer..it's a simple matter of making a change..This website, with all the varied experiences and locations of its membership..is perhaps the best chance for you to quickly learn of what changes are needed to be made..and how..to achieve the success you want and deserve for all your outdoor endeavors..Don't be afraid to make a change..Don't grumble..just change..

If you keep doing what you're doing..You'll keep getting what you're getting....
Change may be uncomfortable..but it's ofttimes worth it!

Best to you all..May 2007 be good to you..
Dad
[/align][/align]
Old 01-18-2007, 12:08 PM

Default RE: Intresting for PA Hunters

Totally agree with this. Its a shame some guys in this state can't get it through their heads.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great post Mike! You win the "Topic of the month" award
Old 01-18-2007, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

He pretty much nailed it on the head for the most part.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:11 PM

Mike,
You have covered all the bases for all. That was a great post.
I just hope the disgrunteled will sit back andponder a little bit.
We thank you
Old 01-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Host of Hosts

Mike, Thanks for the excellent post. I can't agree more with the author. Change isn't easy and we were told that back in the seminars put on by Alt and the PGC a few years back. How soon we all forget.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

I liked it. Some folks can stand back and look at things objectively, some can't.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bravo! one of the best posts I've seen here in a while!!
Old 01-19-2007, 05:00 AM

I invite him to drive a few more hours to SW Pa. where the deer are abundant and heavy..

This is a simple response to more complex problem. For many, it would be about 5 - 6 hr drive, add in motel or campground costs, meals and gas, and you have a considerable cost. And since most will only get one weekday off (Monday) from work, hunters I have know in the past 30 years have hunted out of their homes, not far away deer camps.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt out of my home in the deerless WMU 2G and kill my share of deer every year.

Quick Reply: Intresting for PA Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.