Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Intresting for PA Hunters >

Intresting for PA Hunters

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Intresting for PA Hunters

Old 01-20-2007, 11:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Intresting for PA Hunters

Your absolutely right Trikon. There is a definate bias by the moderator. I present polite debate and am warned. Others can call names and belittle and nothing is said. It truely is one sided.
Not true! Posts from both sides have been deleted many times, especially lately.

I dont always agree with every edit done by the mods (especially when I get deleted) but I think we all have to agree that sometimes these pissing contests really degenerate and an awful lot of memebers have been guilty from time to time.

As I see it, all we have to do is keep it clean, keep from making it too personal, dont beat dead horses and dont twist numbers and stats so bad that it gets to the point of lying by twisting the facts out of context.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:19 AM
Host of Hosts

The USP gained 20 new members tonight. Many of those in attendance owned camps in the Northern Tier of PA and were very dissappointed in the major decline of deer in that area. Many said they hunted for several days and had seen deer in only single digits or not at all.
I'm curious as to how many of those guys who joined hunt more than a few days a year? I know you said they owned camps, but many camps I've been to are more like weekend getaways to party and play cards with the boys. I'm not saying these guys are lieing ,but I wonder what the percentage of people who are against the management plan are these types of hunters? I know that hunters who are very serious in the sport are more likely to support the efforts of the PGC than the weekend warriors.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was with friends Friday night and the one asked me what I know about USP.He was invited to the banquet Saturday and planned to attend.I'm looking foreward to hearing what his thoughts are on the group.He's an older hunter {55} diehard spring gobbler hunter which recently stopped deer hunting for various reasons.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:41 AM
Host of Hosts

He's an older hunter {55}
I'm only guessing , but this age group is probably more likely to be against the PGC plan than for it.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

TRYKON.... Now just hold on here a minute....I resemble that remark about "older" hunters!! (He he he). The four of us who own a camp in Moshannon S.F. are all over 55. We all come from so-called "better" hunting areas to go to camp for bear, deer, and turkey. I'm not sure that there is a deck of cards in camp. You CAN find a beer or two around, but the days of much of that stuff are history. We come to camp to hunt. Sure, we might not hunt as long or as hard as we did a few years ago, but we're still out there. Our hard efforts usually pay off in one way or another. We hunt as conditions tell us to, wether that be the weather or the feed locations that year. We do O.K.
I too can hunt right from my home here in Indiana County. I've killed quite a few deer just by walking 200 yds. to the woods behind my home. But I LOVE to go to camp...much bigger woods to roam in....don't hear traffic from nearby roads.... just feel much more at peace.
So....I guess I've rambled on too much here..just please don't think that being 55 or older makes you an anti- PGC person. At least four of us "old guys" will hope to set you straight.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:37 AM

PAWILDMAN,
I'm curious to hear what u expierenced this year. I hunt the Moshannon on Clearfield mtn. Saw lots of deer during late Flintlock from a couple stands 18feet up above the laurel. Oh. I'm 48 ...right behind ya'
Old 01-21-2007, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

archer,My camp's not far from there as the crow flies.

Kinda interesting to use an age group here.I know hunters of all ages and only a handful are what I would consider anti PGC.Yes alot are frustrated over deer management but I can't say that would be a specific age group.
Having said that most of these folks are reporting better hunting this year then in the previous two.I'm just commenting on my little world not the whole state.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:02 PM

I don't think age has much to do with it. I believe it's the type of hunter u are.
If you put the time in and can figure the patterns of the deer in any given area , you'll see deer.
My cousin is about 60 and an avid traditional bow hunter. He can sniff out deer anywhere. His wwodsmanshipskills are second to none.By the same token others his age don't walk 100 yards into the woods or get out of their truck and make the "no deer claim".
This goes for hunters in their 20's and 30's as well. I believe they hunt like they are taught.

Where is your camp?
Old 01-21-2007, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

archer58........

I assume you are talking deer here.... A little backround will help. The area around our camp was timbered last year just before deer season (2005) and the exclosure fences were put up. After some re-arranging of our hunting plans, we decided to use them to our advantage. Several funnels were now created, and this past year the deer were using them regularly.
I saw several deer the first morning, and decided to take a nice doe @ 7:45 A.M. One of our hunters had deer around him all morning, put passed on several chances. Our neihboring camp (3/8 mi. away) killed two nice buck, one being an outstanding 8-pt. with a beautiful spread.
I hunted the tornado area near Parker Dam the first Sat. of in-line season. Saw several nice sized doe, but never pulled the trigger.
I saw what I consider to be a reasonable number of deer around that general area before season, and some really nice bucks were around.
I talked with one of the Foresters who was cutting firewood along our lane several times. We both saw several decent bear there this fall, although they didn't show up where I wanted them to during season. Darned uncooperative of them. Plenty of turkey around right up until season opened, but they moved their feeding area after that, and I didn't get a chance to hunt there much. They were there, however.
Just like we all should know...you gotta hunt where the game has moved to. You need to adjust your methods. The whining and complaining is for those who refuse to adapt.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:11 PM
Host of Hosts

TRYKON.... Now just hold on here a minute....I resemble that remark about "older" hunters!! (He he he
I'm not that far behind you

So....I guess I've rambled on too much here..just please don't think that being 55 or older makes you an anti- PGC person. At least four of us "old guys" will hope to set you straight.
There are obviously exceptions to the rule, but I stand behind my comment. I have talked to alot of hunters at the outdoor expos and NRA banquets and at the 2 gun clubs I belong to. Overall the older guys are more against the changes in the deer managment than younger hunters. NOT ALL, BUT ALOT. They are less willing to change their habits of years past while searching to kill a whitetail. They want it they way it was, no matter the cost to the environment or health of the herd. Now again I'm not saying all of the ones I talk to just most. It could also be just my general area as well.

Maybe my wording wasn't exactly what I was trying to express. In Pennsylvania I see alot of hunters who are more for getting away from the wife and kids for a few days and getting to a buddies camp than being serious about scouting, planning and doing the things necessary to be sucessful in Penn's Woods. Bottom line of what I'm trying to say is there are alot more guys who are those weekend warriors as compared to actually hunters. And my feeling is that these are the guys crying he most.

Quick Reply: Intresting for PA Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.