Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Sunday hunting in PA >

Sunday hunting in PA

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Sunday hunting in PA

Old 01-09-2007, 08:55 PM

Default RE: Sunday hunting in PA

At least we agree on something. I do believe that the WMUs' are too large.
Especially 2G.
But, the lack of deer in your area is being addressed by cutting back on doe tags. I am very aware of what u are seeing in the woods.(or lack of)
I hunt Moshannon State Forrest quite often and hear the same complaints...in fact, my wife is one of them. During archery season you would think I was in a different place. I see plenty of deer and no other hunters, however in the same spots during rifle season we barely see a deer. They are there. Maybe the food source changed,maybe too many guys in the woods spreading their scent around a couple days before.
Who knows where they went...but in muzzleloader season they seem to reappear again.
I'm not saying that the deer are as abundant as they were. I don't believe they are. But there were too many.

But I am getting way off here.Sunday hunting won't change anything , give the tag reduction a chance to work. It will only take a couple years.
Justthink of how much food will be in your woods w/o all that overbrowsing going on.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

1. On the selfish side, another day afield is one not spent at home doing honey do stuff!

2.The number one reason cited by the NSSF study on declining license sales country wide was lack of time to go hunting. For guys who work a 6 day workweek, Sunday hunting would get them back in the game.
I agree with your #2 reason, and that's the major reasonwhy many seem to be complaining.But what's up with your #1 reason???
"on the selfish side"????? I don't get it? Why do you think that it's being selfish? Just to be able to hunt on the weekends?

The average Joe works all week long, and has Saturdays and Sundays off.Just when do you think he should be able to hunt? Each persontakes vacation time each year, not only for personal time, but for family functions as well, besides Holiday travel. So is he expected to burn his precious vacation up just to be able to hunt an extra day each weekend?

That is the most stupid law I ever heard, "no hunting on Sundays"!!
Sounds like it's ripe with state Politics and smotheredwith Religiousbullheadness forcing their point of views!!! I bet you still have "Blue laws" on sundays as well!! Get with the times PA!!

Old 01-10-2007, 12:48 AM
Spike

I'm all for Sunday hunting, it's about time for PA to get with the times. My schedule varies from week to week, I know I would welcome an extra day in the woods anytime. Even if it was adopted in increments, say groundhogs and small game at first, permit game farms to operate on sundays,etc.We need to start somewhere, and for those who are against it, you have theCHOICE to stay home or do whatever elseyou want to do.

Just my thoughts...........
Old 01-10-2007, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

The deer don't need a day of rest.I saw a total of three hunters in the woods after the first day of rifle season.I hunted all public land on the first saturday,last friday and last day and it's been that way for severalyears.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DougE

The deer don't need a day of rest.I saw a total of three hunters in the woods after the first day of rifle season.I hunted all public land on the first saturday,last friday and last day and it's been that way for severalyears.
i feel deer need a day of rest..god rested on sunday, so lets let GODS creatures rest on sunday..dang, sproul, that was impressive,maybe i will get into that big hunting grounds in sky ,someday..

Old 01-11-2007, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most of the deer get chased for a maximum of three days out of the entire season.They get plenty of rest from people but no rest from all the stcked coyotes and mountain lions.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DougE

Most of the deer get chased for a maximum of three days out of the entire season.They get plenty of rest from people but no rest from all the stcked coyotes and mountain lions.
as usual, you are there to offer your smarty pants remarks..

i do believe the coyotes are hurting deer..sad, you dont feel that way.

i was in a bass tournament in june..i had 5 boats around me..we saw 2 coyotes kill 2 fawns..this was at 11am in morning..this was reported to our wco ..we cannot carry gun in parks, wish we could or i would have got one of those blonde yotes..

we had to sit and watch it..

driving of the deer here is for 2 weeks..i see crew everyday driving in my hunting area and sometimes,
3 crews..

i get 2 weeks off to hunt deer,i am out there almost everyday..being i got a huge buck this year, only deer i saw,i got to ride around and interview hunters and see what they had ..

douge,its my opinion..if they would stop doe hunting or make it 3 days and go back to the COUNTY ONLY doe permits,i would come half way and say,I AGREE WITH SUNDAY HUNTING for 2 weeks of buck ONLY..this i think hikers would also agree with if it was only for 2 weeks of buck..

until that happens, no way i am in favor of it..

Old 01-11-2007, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

The concurrent season is here to stay. The control on the doe kill is determined by the number of doe tags. The good news is that the legislators that we need behind us to get Sunday hunting passsed arent likely to put much stock in comments from hunters who want no doe killed or want to go back to the method that allowed the vast overpopulation in the first place.

As in the USP lawsuit, science is on the right side.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

The concurrent season is here to stay. The control on the doe kill is determined by the number of doe tags. The good news is that the legislators that we need behind us to get Sunday hunting passsed arent likely to put much stock in comments from hunters who want no doe killed or want to go back to the method that allowed the vast overpopulation in the first place.

As in the USP lawsuit, science is on the right side.

SCIENCE,thats good one..i may agree with douge on 1 of his comments..

lack of hunters,i see it getting worst and the PGC not being able to stay in business..i also see fees going up on licenses etc..why the doe permits are only 6 dollars is beyond me..

doe permit should be 50 dollars..

license sales should be intertesting in future..dcnr will get the STATEGAMELANDS,they want it bad..

no pgc and new DCNR..you have to give the USP credit, they had balls to try to stop this maddness..