Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Interesting Pa Deer Article >

Interesting Pa Deer Article

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Interesting Pa Deer Article

Old 12-28-2006, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Interesting Pa Deer Article

The USP does not know what they're talking about.Oak regenerates just finebetween ph levels of 4 and 5.Come on out here and I'll prove it to you.Oak actually likes fairly acidic soils and doesn't do well if you lime it.The USP's acid rain thoery holds no water and all the exclosures that have the same soil as the outside of the fence prove it.

Jim Grace did not say that DCNR's dd goals was 5 dpsm.That's an outright lie.He said some areas may need deer densities that low because the habitat is so poor.Many areas are still primarily pole timber and that's all the deer they can support and it's too soon to cut them.

Now the guy thinks mountain lions are helping tocontrol the deer population in 2G.Anyoneturn any mountain lions in yetand get that reward?

That forest certification was most likely a cause for DCNR's stance at reducing the deer population.However,our state forests only account for 8% of the state's land mass.That's hardly a good case to say that the forest certification was driving force of the desire to reduce the herd accross the whole state.

No,you guys certainly don't know what you're talking about.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Prior to 2000,the farm bureau didn't ever show up at the annual PGC meetings and complain about deer numbers?
Old 12-28-2006, 03:02 PM

And, why are our carrying capacities still based solely on forested land?
Larry - can you please show me under the current deer management plan which lists three goals - healthy habitat, healthy deer and reduced deer human conflcts where deer carrying capacity is spelled out as a measurement? Perhaps the website needs updated since carrying capacity hasn't been used for......

Thanks.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:42 PM

John - Carl Roe will be hunting one of those SGL's tomorrow with "no deer on it". It seems he's quite content with his hunting experiences there as well as the habitat work the PGC has done on that area.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:46 PM

John - you are absolutely correct. I do not set policy. However, I am happy to explain to the willing to learn what that policy means and why the PGC went in that direction. I do it every day with our elected officials and quite frankly I really love my job. They have so many questions and itsa lot of fun fielding the inquiries on a daily basis.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:51 PM

Joe, give me a break. Roe is hunting the late season. Which Game Lands (County) andhow many PGC people did the scouting for him?

How many of you PGC Elmerton Avenue people hunt Game Lands on the opening day of deer RIFLE season? Do you? Does Roe? How about Schmit, Palone, Isabella, Boop, DuBrock,and Schleiden?

If I wern't going Pheasant and Woodcock hunting in New Jersey tomorrow and Saturday, I'd join Roe.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:55 PM

Sad.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:26 PM

It seems to me that the state is quite confused with the terms Forestry Management and Wildlife management. I can't help but think that the all mighty dollar is to blame. It should send a scary message to Game commissioners everywhere. I have never heard such an unbelievable story, I think tom Ridge should be sent a copy of this letter by the truck full the good people of PA deserve better representation.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:22 AM

You're assuming the letter is factual. It is not.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:13 PM

I just re-registered here after a couple of years absence. I see some old names I remember and many new ones.
I thought this topic was something new, but it is the old levengood, grassy knoll stuff.
He left out the part about "deer scratching our trees", wolf-coyote hybrids being a secret (to whom?) and being planted here, cougars running rampant and all that other conspiracy stuff.

I would also post it at my club and I think I will on New Years Eve. We always do something completely hilarious and crazy, just before the clock strikes and we have to be normal again.

Quick Reply: Interesting Pa Deer Article

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.