Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 how to deal with problem? >

how to deal with problem?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

how to deal with problem?

Old 12-05-2006, 08:47 PM

Default how to deal with problem?

hey guys some help would be great, not sure if this is the right forum for this question but since it occured in PA i thought here would be right,
Ran into a complete freaking idiot hunter on 3rd day of season, up at camp in Potter Cty, we have about 100 acres of private landin state forest, guy is on our property, no big deal not posted as long as guys not runniong 4whlrs we fine with that, but he is not wearing a stitch of orange and as I am glassing him from behind with my 12x binos i can see no licenses, now i go down to ask what in the worlds he is doing, thinking maybe he not have gun just filming or something, i get to him, he does have gun, i ask him politley to please put his orange on and he acts like he deaf ( he ain't), well after getting into argument with him over orange i finally point my gun into ground down hill away from him and state "you will put that orange on or i will make enough noise to scare every deer from here to the next ridge away for all day", he puts his orange on, i say thank you, heck of a lot safer and move on however whole time i am talking, not shouting, he has put his gun pointed in my direction, so i didn't pursue license issue thinking maybe he had in his pocket, and not wanting to piss him off further(i have met many guys over the years who do that license in pocket thing, not technically legal but anyway). i talked to a state cop about the whole thing a couple days ago and he says that with no ID info i can't really do anything about the unsafe firearms issue, does anyone here know anything on how to report people like this, do you need photos or something to prove it to the PGC or state cops for prosecution or what?
Old 12-06-2006, 07:04 AM
Spike

Default RE: how to deal with problem?

NEVER NEVER threaten anyone with a gun!Either dirctly or indirectly.You may have been trying to get this problem resolved but he may have taken it as a threat.How would you react in the same situation?If I were in the woods on land that has state land surrounding it and you came up and told me to put orange on I probably would have told you to go and stuff it.In New York we dont have a orange law that I know of,I still were mine and would likie to see all others with some on.I dont know how it is in PA ,I know how you feel but it isnt your job to enforce the rules it is the dec's.If you see this guy next time have the dec officers number on speed dial and get him out there.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

good way to get shot
Old 12-06-2006, 08:05 AM

Post your land to keep the retards out, then call the cops if you catch anyone on it that is a problem. Most cases I think you could just ask them to leave but if they give you a big mouth try to get their license number or take their picture.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

Do yourself a favor, don't approach a strangerthat hasa firearm and threaten him. People have been shot for a lot less. Let the authorities enforce the laws...
Old 12-06-2006, 11:48 AM
Spike

I have had an instance where I confronted a hunter on my land, and I made sure the gunwas out ofhis hand because it can be a very dangerous situation. A simple thing like that can turn into a huge problem with a firearm present.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:48 PM

perhaps i wasn't very clear on what i meant when i said i pointed gun at ground, i mean i was literally between him and the downhill where it was pointed at, as in gun was carried in crook of my arm aimed down in front of feet and i said exactly" I am gonna to shoot my gun into the ground to scare every deer away with the noise so you will not see a deer all day unless you please put you orange on, (in PA it is Mandatory 250 inches of orange on head and chest,plus license Must be displayed on back)when i said that i turned so that the gun was pointed as far away from him as possible, as I will agree threatening someone not good, i didn't think that this a threat to bodily harm, maybe to success of that days hunt. but anyway if i am in the wrong on that so be it, but then how in the world do you deal with jerk like that especially when you have several guys there bringing their kids along to your camp and you don't want their hunt to be ruined by running into and having to deal with guy like this, as for calling WCO's i have tried that in past on people seen poaching out of season on our property, next thing we get next time we go up is nice deer head tossed in broken window of cabin and State cops say "huh well no way to find out who did it" and we simply have another idiot that could vandalize camp while we not there. I like to not involve authorites because have not had success, simply gotten more grief (wish it wasn't that way but oh well), is there a different tack to talking to this guy i should have used? or just starting carrying camera every time i hunt up there to get photos, and leave at that with the hope that camp not burned down by guy after he caught and fined.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

you said "private state land"what do you mean?state land is for everyone and thats what you get on it.try to find some private property.make the effort and you will get away from the "idiots" lol
Old 12-06-2006, 08:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

I believe he meant 100 acres of privaite land surronded by state forest.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:42 PM

what i meant by "about 100 acres of private landin state forest" is 102.35 acres of privately owned land, (myself, my brother and my two cousins from berks cnty are owners) we have state forest on all sides except for about 50ft road frontage along RT 144. If that not going out and finding priavtely owned land i don't know what is.

Quick Reply: how to deal with problem?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.