Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA Antler restrictios--working? >

PA Antler restrictios--working?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Antler restrictios--working?

Old 12-05-2006, 08:21 PM

Default RE: PA Antler restrictios--working?

Let me see here.7 days hunting atleast 7hrs a day 49hrs seen 7 deer shot two of them.Both does, Haven't seen a single buck of any size.All 7 was does.Pa. is goanna lose hunters next year.How about this,One doe tag,No Bonuses and change doe season to october for 3 days only? This way the does that we do see during the two week rifle season actually do get bread and not shot if they are preg.Mostpeople prob would'nt spend much time freezingout in the woods looking for a buck if they get their doe in the warmer month.I said people not hunters.This would even let the bucks get bigger and increase the deer heard and buck to doe ratio would still be 50 50.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

My thoughts exactly.
There are areas that need more does taken, and some that need less taken. I just wouldn't feel right about taking a doe in an area that holds very few deer to begin with. I've probably said that here a thousand times.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Send AR up to NY would ya?
Old 12-06-2006, 08:00 AM

I think AR's are a good idea but PA will never be a big buck state like Ohio or IL. We have a 2 wk rifle season wheremost ofthe buck are wiped out. Areas I hunt in Pike county have very few deer left. Giving out huge amounts of doe tags for public land hunting is just stupid. Most of the deer I have seen are on private property. We seem to be killing the deer in the wrong places. If the state would seperate public and private land regulations I think things would be much better. After the first year they opened doe during rifle season we seen really good results. Now we just don't see anything.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:48 PM

That is such a BS statement that people like me are causeing a decline in deer heard.I was not the one who issued the tags.Blame the real people,not me buddy.I have shot two does because I was allowed to.Call me a hypocrite about this.Yes,to a point.
no... you didnt issue that tags... but you bought them... The real people... who are the real people... and are you not a real person?

No... not to a point... you are a Hypocrite and part of the reason the herd is declining...

But let me tell you who are doing the most damage to the deer heards other than we who by tags and bonus tags. People who post their properties. That's right posted property owners.These are the ones who are killing fawns at a very very alarming rate. How? By not allowing people to hunt these areas and push the deer off these properties. These deer will stay there. They will have their fawns there
HAHAH actually... people who post their property are actually helping to conserve the population.. if there is limited hunting in an area do to the property being posted... wouldnt that mean there are more deer there... why would u want to push the deer off of the property... deer dont stay in one piece of ground.. deer travel.. especially during the rut..

now if I was a predator.... i would be hiding out somewhere where i know there will be a plethora of wounded animals or dead animals that werent found by the people who shot them.. i would be on public land where there are a million people wiping out the deer herd by one way or another... mostly by shooting immature bucks or does...or by shooting numerous bucks (button) or does...

Think about it..

.Are you goanna hunt or stay in an area where there are no game or easy pickins at? Not hardly. These areas with game hold true for predators all so. Where do you see the most predators at now?On or around posted property.
no i see them in the big woods that arent posted... feasting off of wounded or dead deer that were never found...

Eliminate the hunting or the predators. It has to be one or the other to increase the deer herds
or you could do something about it yourself.. and not buy a doe license.. or bonus tags... just think about it... people who issue the licenses arent the ones shooting 2 doe a year.. there is not ONE rule in the regulations that says you must buy a doe license.. or apply for a bonus tag... and it does NOT say that your tags must be filled..

im everyone would do something about it conserving the herd... we wouldnt have this problem.. the deer pop. would increase and everyone would stop complaining...

Old 12-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen some nice bucks killed, but nothing out of the ordinary. Herd decline, most definitely. This will ultimately mean fewer and fewer bucks in the future. Sure, they have worked the past few years, but what happens when the herd is significantly wiped out for several years, including the bucks?

I have been doing some research on other states management practices and am shocked. A 2 week rifle season is not the norm in most states. Bottom line is that we have way too many hunters to allow that many tags. I miss the good ol days of split seasons. This concurrent season deal stinks.

My suggestions would be to make 4pt a side state wide. Also, lets see a "wide as its ears" regulation. Then split up the seasons the way they used to be and not get carried away with the tags.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:49 PM

actually 2 dead button bucks= 2 dead fawns, probably 10 doe that will never get impregnated, 2 bucks that wont grow up to mature bucks... i could keep going on and on.. but im done arguing about this... i have Finals to worry about here at PSU..

good luck to everyone and Happy hunting... i wouldnt be this concerned but this year and last year have been the worst 2 years hunting i have ever experienced.. the herd numbers are wayyyyy down.. but the bucks i have seen at my friends taxidermy have been massive for the area.. so i think the restrictions are working....

if only people would quit shootng doe... and BUTTON BUCKS
Old 12-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Spike

A buddy of mine hunts Jersey, Earn a buck area, the club he belongs to slaughters does every year, they and the state don't carewhat kind of doe, mature, fawn, BB whatever brown its down, this year he alone
has taken 6 does this year, the last two years were not as good,
but anyway he wonders where they come from because even he thinks
there shouldn't be any left. But, the state makes the rules and they follow them. the only bucks are just small 1.5 yold. what's funny is his club has very little opportunity's at bucks and the ones they do see are small so they let them walk. they been duing this for three years and still don't see any mature bucks.
But there are Monster Bucks in Jersey I've seen quite a few.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

that is the biggest bunch of nonsense i have ever heard... lets see here... how many bucks can impregnate a doe? the answer to that is 1...
I think that is an erroneous statement. I just read a short while back an article from a biologist the said a doe can birth fawns from two different bucks at the same time. Iwill have to search for the article, I don't remember exactly where I read it because I read everything about deer that goes past me. When in heat a doe will stand for breeding multiple times and more than one buck often will mount her. Their reproductive system is configured in such a way that individual eggs can be fertilized by separate bucks. This is a survival tactic to ensure that breeding will take place one way or another. Dang, I just read that! What a coincidence this would come up.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heard the exact same thing at a QDM seminar earlier this year put on by QDMA thru our state F&G.Unlike some those folks know what there talkin about.

Quick Reply: PA Antler restrictios--working?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.