Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA Antler restrictios--working? >

PA Antler restrictios--working?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Antler restrictios--working?

Old 12-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA Antler restrictios--working?

antler size seems to be the same here in somerset county. Nothing to large spotted or shot by anyone in my hunting party. There are very few deer I've been out everyday all day and I have 9 deer sightings and 8 of the 9 came on opening day. The doe slaughter here is terrible. I dont think they need to keep issuing so many tags [:@]. Hunting here is deffinately at a all time low.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

My areas have really improved with the AR. I've gone from seeing 2-3 2.5 year olds to seeing 8-10.I would see a 3.5+ yr old buck once every 3-4 years in my spots, now I am seeing2-3 a year.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another thing I've noticed as well is not just the size of the bucks but the amount of bucks being taken. Everyone I have spoken with has had success stories and this is accross multiple counties. My family hunts Lycoming, Huntingdon, York, Lancaster and Perry counties and we have taken decent bucks in each one this year. Our family has hunted Lycoming county for the past 70 years and this year has been the best year in recent history with us taking 4 bucks and 3 decent ones. I took mine first morning in Huntingdon out of the same hollow where we also took another 8 point in archery. Through the seasons this yearwe have also seen 4 other buck in huntingdon from our stand one of which was a monster. My cousin also missed another rack buck in huntingdon on the first saturday (he'syoung and probably got buck fever since it was a pretty nice 10 point). In perry county two friends took a 7 and an 8 and another missed a large rack but they have been seeing deer all through archery and rifle. I really like the way the hunting is beginning to turn around but would still like to see fewer does killed. Oh yeah, every single deer that we have seen or shot has all been on public land.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:57 AM

One size does notfit all. I wouid like to see it go back to county by county,and go back to the two day doe hunt afterskipping one year. We are killing way two many does and along with that the button bucks that are supposed to grow up and be monsters.

[/align]
Old 12-05-2006, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

My group hunted Timber Company land in the ANF this gun season (totally open top the public) This is a three point area andwe sawthree times as many 8+ pointers as we saw small bucks there.There were still plenty of deer and plenty of sign everywhere we hunted.

While I agree that there may be isolated spots where the doe kill has gone a bit too far, any wildlife biologist will agree that killing more does is an integral part of managing a herd for better quality. We've seen the doe tags backed off in the northwoods and may see a bit more before things level off but overall it seems to be working IMHO.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:43 PM

ORIGINAL: doman

AR is probably making a little difference in seeing more average size bucks. and a few more nice bucks but not everywhere in the state.
Out west where they have 4pt rule and other conditions to produce nicer bucks well sure, but other parts of the state need a little more help.
The numbers for 3D are pretty close every year. they could sell unlimited
doe tags the harvest report doesn't change. the reports I have been hearing for this area this year are poor. unless someone can tell me
some news I haven't heard,

I have to agree with with you about hear in 3D!! Especially on public land at least where I hunt! The buck that I have seen are average size 6, 8, 3, & 4 pointers! I have seen nicer bucks in the past 2 years hear and I have gotten lucky to take a nice 8-pointer in archery last year and a really nice 3 1/2 year old 8-pointer this year on the first day of rifle!! I hunt the same area every year and my buck/doe ratio this year throuugh all of archery and rifle is 6 buck and 10 doe! I have been out alot and I have yet to see a doe this rifle season! I really think they need to cut down on the antlerless tags here!! (JMO) Not many shots at all where I've been hunting! The only thing I can say I really like is hunting this area in archery! Did not see one person hunting in there this year!! Had it all to myself this season! I think a lot of guys are really disgusted and tring new places which is fine to me!
Old 12-05-2006, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen concrete evidence in several diverse habitats over multiple seasons that AR does in fact work remarkably well.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definately working in my area. I hunt farmland in Berks county. My family harvested 5 buck so far out of 7 hunters. Two basket 8 pointers, one 7-Point w/ 19" spread and 5" bases, one 9-Point w/ 17" spread and one 10-point with a 21" spread and 5.5" bases.

I too think there should be more micro-management for the overall deer population by area. Hopefully they continue to dial back the doe tags in the areas you guys are not seeing the numbers. We need to continue to shoot doe in our area.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll admit that the AR's are working to let bucks get bigger. I'm not a big fan of it. I'm not a trophy hunter. I just like deer meat. It is nice to take a big buck with nice antlers but I'm happy to get any legal buck. But, yes it is working.

I hunt in Greene Co.mostly. Seen waaaaaay fewer deer this year than ever before. I hunted hard all of archery and early muzzleloader. I hunted hard the first week of rifle.I saw very few deer compared to past years.

I did see lots of little bucks, since WMU 2A is 4pt area.

I saw more little bucks than does.I saw a lot fewer deer overall.

This year the first day of rifle I took my daughter. I saw 4 bucks and 2 does all day. Every year we see fewer and fewer.

I know I'm as guilty as anyone for taking does. I can't really blame anyone. I admit. I feel they need to go back to a 2 day season with the does. I hear it is really bad up north. I feel for those guys.

The 4pt AR makes it tough counting points. I've had to pass on many over the last few years because I wasn't sure. I also saw some really nice 4 pointer and six pointers. Saw one 4 pointer this year that was really big.

I do wonder if in a few more years of taking the bucks with better genes and letting spikes and forkies go if this may hurt genetics down the road.

You take two different yearling bucks and one is an 8 , the other a spike. The 8 gets taken out , the spike lives.

If they would cut doe licenses and have it 4pt ARstate wide, we'd really see some changes.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

id be all for that!!!!!!!! i dont think they have done a study for this or not but i would love to know the % of 1.5 bucks that would live longer between the 3pt to the 4pt area. i see way to many 1.5 bucks getting killed in the 3pt area.

ORIGINAL: Windwalker7

If they would cut doe licenses and have it 4pt ARstate wide, we'd really see some changes.

Quick Reply: PA Antler restrictios--working?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.