Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
NY-co worker ticketed for son's deer >

NY-co worker ticketed for son's deer

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY-co worker ticketed for son's deer

Old 11-21-2002, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default NY-co worker ticketed for son's deer

Monday(opening day) a guy I work with went hunting with his son and 4 others. The group took 6 deer (1 buck and 5 does). This guy shot the buck. His son shot one of the does monday and tagged it with his doe tag. On Tuesday his son and 2 others had to go back home (6 hour drive). His son signed his doe tag over to his dad for him to bring it home with the rest of the deer on the next day.
My co-worker and his 2 other buddies were stopped on RT 17 near Monticello at a seatbelt/deer check.
One of the officers asked if all the deer were taken by just them and my co-worker spoke up and said we have my son's deer with us also.
The DEC officer said that having the signed over doe tag was not enough. The officer ticketed my co-worker for transporting a deer without proper consignment. My co-worker was only a passenger in the car. It wasn't his car and he wasn't driving.
Does anyone know what may happen to him? Will he lose his hunting license and be fined? They thought they were doing the right thing.

Old 11-21-2002, 12:20 PM

Default RE: NY-co worker ticketed for son's deer

I'd look into it, you should be able to find the penalty online somewhere.
However, it seems a little strange, in all the states I hunt, all you have to do is give written permission such as signing the tag over, I'd be interested to hear what else NY requires. Maybe check the DNR web site?

"In heaven, even the fish have antlers"
Old 11-21-2002, 06:38 PM

It seems to me that if the tag was signed there shouldn't have been a problem. You've got me wondering now I thought with the new laws up here you could sign over your tags if you were not going to use them. If I where him I'ld definatly look into it.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:11 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> His son signed his doe tag over to his dad for him to bring it home with the rest of the deer on the next day.
One of the officers asked if all the deer were taken by just them and my co-worker spoke up and said we have my son's deer with us also.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Way i understand it,You cannot sign deer over after kill only before.So what happend his sone shot deer then gave tag to his dad. Its tagging violation. Its dont think be really big deal probably just fine.
If he left tag in his name his dad would prbably been ok.

TrestandEd

&quot;Hard work ... conviction ... pride ... responsibility ... class ... character ... success...BOWHUNTING

Edited by - TreestandEd on 11/21/2002 21:13:44
Old 11-21-2002, 08:19 PM

Transporting

Deer and bear may be transported either inside or outside the vehicle.
A deer carcass with head and deer carcass tag attached may be transported with the taker in attendance.
If someone other than the taker is transporting the deer, an additional tag supplied by the taker bearing the names and addresses of the consignee and taker must be attached to the carcass.
All portions of deer or bear meat being transported by the taker shall be individually tagged and the tags shall include the name, address, big game license number, the date that the portions were cut, and the signature of the taker. Packaged or boxed portions of venison need only one tag and must be labeled &quot;venison&quot; on the outside of the box. If someone other than the taker is transporting the portions, an additional tag signed by the taker with the names and addresses of the consignee and taker is required for each portion.
A deer carcass minus the head may be transported as above, but evidence of the sex of the deer must be intact. The deer carcass tag must be affixed to the carcass, and a tag supplied by the taker must also be attached showing the name and address of the taxidermist where the head was sent.
Heads of male deer may be transported to a taxidermist only if a tag supplied by the taker is attached bearing the taker's signature, address, big game license number, number of points on each antler and the name and address of the taxidermist.
The head of a doe with antlers that are 3 inches or more can be removed for mounting. Follow the same procedure that you would use for a buck you are having mounted. (See above.)

TrestandEd

&quot;Hard work ... conviction ... pride ... responsibility ... class ... character ... success...BOWHUNTING
Old 11-21-2002, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

Definitely plead not guilty. Get a lawyer if you have to but this seems like a case where the charges should be dropped. The law wasn't designed to charge people with technicalitites but to stop the illegal transfer of deer for unlawful purposes. Whether the paperwork was correct or not, if they go to court , both father and son, I would think the court/prosecutor would reconsider their position. I would certainly plead not guilty. Forget the convenience argument, Who knows, in a couple of years a misdemeanor like this on your record could probably prohibit you from owning a gun, so why accept it if they are not guilty of an intentional crime. Officer may be facing a lot of poachers claiming the same thing. Maybe when they get down to court and the officer sees that they were speaking the truth, and both father and son are there he'd agree and recomend to the prosecutor the charges should be dropped. Talk to a lawyer. best of luck to them.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:59 PM

Warren,
I belong to a hunt club in Steuben county. I hunt with 2 troopers and a DEC officer, when he's not out working. I'll check with them to see how the law reads, and get back to you with an &quot;official&quot; answer. Good luck! It should just be a fine. No loss of license.
Old 11-22-2002, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

It looks like the guy's son signed over the deer management permit in the line that allows you to transfer the permit for someone else to use. They thought it said &quot;transport&quot; the deer. If someone transfers their DMP to you, then you have to also put their hunting license number on your license.

Old 11-22-2002, 03:42 PM

Page 21 In Your hunting&trapping regulations guide will explain what should have been done ...and here on the web tells the same thing..
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/d...e.html#Tagging
with all the changes happening this year it would be in everybody's best interest to read over the DEC site as the guide is really very unreliable this year do to the lateness of these changes..
Good Luck To Them...
Bill

If I Knew It Was Going To Be This
Hard/I'd Be FISHING !