Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 mountain lions in ny >

mountain lions in ny

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

mountain lions in ny

Old 11-18-2006, 11:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: mountain lions in ny

Let's see, who took it[the story]seriously...The DEC did. They sent a biologist over two hours from Albany to check it out.
That of course is part ofthe story.

As for people laughing at me, well, you've got me there. My guess would be zero (come on, did you really laugh?).
Yes, and it's been my experience that there are a lot more people that will laugh or smile and shake their head when they hear such stories than those that will believe them and/or take them seriously. I was just curious what you thought (come on, do you really think nobody is laughing?).

You don't believe that there are mountain lions in NYS. OK. I think there might be.
Like I said, it's not a question of belief, for meit's a question of whether or not there is evidence to support the claim. All the reputable sources say there isn't so I can't help but be extremely skeptical as well.

As far as being swayed by all the stories that are told, I'm not at all. People tell stories about Big Foot, the Lock Ness monster,Ogopogo, space aliens, seeing Elvis still alive and on and on and on. When people want to "believe" something there will always be stories to support that belief. It's an interesting human phenomenon and the ml thing fits right in.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:15 AM

ORIGINAL: Elkcrazy8

poison, read through all of the past threads on this topic over the past couple of years. You will find that there are people who see them on a regular basis. For many years in a row. If there is 2-3 wandering around the entire state of new york, then why do some people see them time and time again. So my statement then holds some value. I was pointing out that in a state where the population is very high, cougars are not regularly spotted.

Besides, with the way the woodlots are lined with orange hats, I am sure that the chances of one being shot would be pretty high still with only 2-3 running amuck. Someone is bound to see one, but why the same people all the time?

If you read my statement, I am refering to all the threads that I have read on this topic and not only this one.................

Whether they are there or not, this still makes for interesting reading.
I just think people are to amazed at them to shoot one.Would I shoot one? Only in self defence. Just to prove to everyone they are here?No.
The controversy over a mountain lion in a populated state is like the terrorists reports they put out.Is it possible?Yes,anything is possible.Should we be scared?No.Should we alarm the citizens?No.Enjoy what life has given you and believe what is good.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

I cannot say if there is Mt. Lions in NY, but here in Maine a couple of years ago one was caught being transported here. They believed it was for a release. As I see what others posts on here about horses and cows
being attacked it would make me think it is a released cat and not a wild one. Most released ones are from the bigger western ones. Here about thirty mile away an eastern one with three cubs had been recorded. So it gives way to attacking all trapping programs and trappers as they may catch an endangered animal. So now court challenges and all the rest of the bunk to be able for trappers to continue to trap coyotes and other predators. Perhaps the idea of being a good thing should be given more thought to. More predators means less game and less game = no more hunting as mother nature will support itself. I would think it over folks and decide truely if it would be good to see wolves and mountain lions roaming your states or not. I do not see it as being a very good thing.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

poisoner, if you want to see controversy, you should deal with the wolves here in Idaho, my friend spent 15 hours trapped in a tent by a pack of 7 wolves last week. You had better hope that it is never proven that there is an endagered species living within your borders. Even the DEC would not have any jurisdiction over the matter. The feds would move in with all of their might, as they did here with the wolves. Now I don't know of any bowhunter that is not packing a pistol into the woods. Things are getting real ugly and we cannot do a thing about it.

What really cracks meup too is the fact that your wonderful senator backs environmental bills and gun control laws, but has a city that she is over who freaks out when a coyote gets loose in central park.

I know there are people who don't shoot other creatures while out hunting, but there is too big of a percentage that just like to kill for no reason at all. I have ran across many like that. I would think that some dummy would shoot one without knowing the legalities or ramifications if they did.

The DEC may have very well been instructed to dismiss all posiblities of a couple of cats being there, for the simple fact that the feds would jump in and spread the burden of studies and proof on to the state of New York. If the cost was incured by the state, where do you think the money would come from. It would come from an increase in price in lisc. sales. So you and all the other New York hunters, would foot the bill for the endangered animal. It happened here with the wolves. The feds gave us 1,000,000 to take care of the wolves for 1 year. 300,000 went to the Nez Perce leaving us with 700,000, After the $ was gone, we had to pick up the rest or turn over all studies and control back to the feds (whatever limited control that we have so that ranchers can help save their cattle) It is an ugly mess, so just hope that the DEC never verifies their existance.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:02 PM

ORIGINAL:Rover109
Let's see, who took it[the story]seriously...The DEC did. They sent a biologist over two hours from Albany to check it out.
ORIGINAL: Sylvan
That of course is part ofthe story.
You don't believe me that the DEC sent a biologist to check this out? Well, I'm out of this discussion.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

You don't believe me that the DEC sent a biologist to check this out? Well, I'm out of this discussion.
No need to get mad, my question to you was ..."Just curious as to how many people do you think believe you or take your story seriously vs. how many you think figure it's just bs and are laughing at you? "... so I was just pointing out that you didn't really answer it. The biologist coming to check out the tracks is just part of the story and a part that people may or may not believe you about. My bet is most people would be willing to believe that part but Idoubtmany believe the part where you said they confirmed there were ml tracks in the snow. Again, my question to you is what do you think about how your story (your whole story) is perceived by people when you tell them? What percent do you think believe it's bs? I'd guess over 1/2. Again what do you think? I'm not playing a game with you, I'm truly curious.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

check out the bobcat attacking the adult deer on the bowhunting forum. kinda puts a hole in the "mountain lion killed deer carcases" theory? eh?

discuss.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:31 PM

I don't have a problem with a bobcat taking a deer. Especially around here where they grow large. I just wonder how much of a deer they will eat at one time. The cat killed deer I found ten years ago had both hams gone as well as the heart and liver before the remains were completely covered with pine needles and deer hair. Ten days later something came back and ate all the rest of the meat. I wish I had measured the spread of the holes in the doe's throat so I would know for sure. At the time I just figured it was a cougar. From what I had studied about wildlife it was a cat kill for sure and no one then ever mentioned bobcats being able to kill adult deer.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:41 AM

threre is proof of wolves in NY, I just left the web site, www.home.acadia.net, as for mountain lions,we call em catamount, there is still alot of wild lands in the northeast that get little if any human traffic if you will, heard alot of stories, never seen one, know some that say they have, would like to see the Pics.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

We are still waiting for barofsoap's picture on this one.

Quick Reply: mountain lions in ny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.