Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Same shot, different results...just not same deer! The buck lives, too. >

Same shot, different results...just not same deer! The buck lives, too.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Same shot, different results...just not same deer! The buck lives, too.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default Same shot, different results...just not same deer! The buck lives, too.

Filled a DMP Saturday afternoon. I was on the same stand as my mishap with the large 8 point buck on opening weekend.

She came in, and gave me the exact same shot, only quartering away as opposed to broadside,like the buck. The doe took almost the same route, but took a short 10-yard detour that caused me a couple fits, as I had one trunk of a double tree that my stand was in, in the way. She got behind the trunk and was out of sight for a couple seconds feeding. I had already positioned my bow to the left of the trunk, but the detour forced me to wait out a potential last second shift that luckily never occured.

That detour prevented me from drawing, and she was within 5 yards. I thought for sure she was going to hand me my rear for the second time this season, only a few yards from a trail that would have taken her out of my lanes. Fortunately, she stopped at the exact location of my shot on the buck, and was quartering away feeding. I was able to draw on her and send the arrow in, lodging in her opposite shoulder.

She went down within 30 yards, easily in sight and was done in less than a minute of the shot. No blood until the spot where she expired. The arrow plugged up the hole good. Connected on liver, lungs, andfinally creased the heart before jamming into the lower shoulder.

I hunted the same stand in the A.M. and saw the buck I hit. He was A-OK. In fact, I only saw him because he let out a nasty grunt. At the time, I had a doe and a BB down wind, and mama had a smell pegged she didn't like. I was pretty much frozen, but was able to shift my eyes enough to watch him for a few minutes. He was never in bow range, but I'm happy knowing he madeit through my crap shot.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Same shot, different results...just not same deer! The buck lives, too.

Great to hear that he made it and that he's still coming in to that spot.

Now go get him!
Old 10-24-2006, 02:43 PM

Default RE: Same shot, different results...just not same deer! The buck lives, too.

you were sure it was the same buck???? Last year, I shot a buck in VA and went to look for him in the morning. Lost blood after 75 yards so started zig zagging and walking down the creek. I got within bow range of what I thought I was him and when the deer went to get up, he was running away. I stopped him at 30 yards and let him have it thinking it was the buck I had shot the night before because the rack looked exactly the same and he didn't run away like he was wounded. It ended up being a different buck that had been wounded in a fight the night before. When I jumped him, he didn't run because he had holes in his next from fighting.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Legacy357

you were sure it was the same buck???? Last year, I shot a buck in VA and went to look for him in the morning. Lost blood after 75 yards so started zig zagging and walking down the creek. I got within bow range of what I thought I was him and when the deer went to get up, he was running away. I stopped him at 30 yards and let him have it thinking it was the buck I had shot the night before because the rack looked exactly the same and he didn't run away like he was wounded. It ended up being a different buck that had been wounded in a fight the night before. When I jumped him, he didn't run because he had holes in his next from fighting.
Are you sure the holes weren't from you shooting it? What did you shoot it with? I have heard of arrow pass thru shots in the neck and the deer surviving. Something isn't ringing true with that story. You shot a buck, followed it's trail, walked right up on a buck that looked like the same one, he let you get within shooting range, and was previously wounded. Maybe the obvious was too obvious to see. Seems like alot of coincidence to not be the same buck. I'm not calling you into question, don't get me wrong. I'm very intrigued by your story, that's all.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

I'm humble about most things in life, but I am sure it was the same buck.

I've seen him on the stand three times so far during the season. Twice in the afternoon, once up closer than I care to admit since I didn't connect cleanly, and in the morning, with a clear view for 3-4 minutes.

He's also got almost a 5 inch track, easily identifiable. I hunt in broken farmland, with woodlots. Tracks are everywhere, and you learn to associate the tracks with certain bucks as the season moves along. I'd venture to say a very low single-digit % of bucks grow to the age/body size that allows a 5 inch track. I'd love to be wrong, cause that'd mean I've got more than one monster on my hunting grounds.

Seriously though, it's the same buck. I'm not hellen keller in the stand.