Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Penn License Sales-AUGUST 06 >

Penn License Sales-AUGUST 06

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Penn License Sales-AUGUST 06

Old 10-05-2006, 01:25 PM

Default RE: Penn License Sales-AUGUST 06

I submit that after the poor turnout for the PGC's program to explain the way they calculate the deer figures, and the fact that Carl Roe, Executive Director made the statement that he was "disappointed" at the poor turnout shows that Pennsylvania hunters place little credence in the facts and figures the agency puts forth.

Rosenberry appears to be casting blame very similar to his former superior Gary Alt. FirstRosenberry claimed that Alt's program was "flawed," and now we hear him bad mouthing Merrit Grund. It would appear that he has a problem assuming responsibility.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

It is usually people that aren’t happy with any program that show up to see what they can find wrong with the way things are being done. So, maybe there really aren’t as many disgruntled and unsatisfied hunters as some people and organizations think there are.

Dick Bodenhorn
Old 10-05-2006, 07:36 PM

"It is usually people that aren’t happy with any program that show up to see what they can find wrong with the way things are being done. So, maybe there really aren’t as many disgruntled and unsatisfied hunters as some people and organizations think there are."

Dick, normally I would agree with your thought process. This time I respectfully submit that the overall decline in license sales over the years since the PGC inacted this poorly managed herd reduction program plus the loss of (currently) 14% license sales in the past 2 years coupled with the poor 'disappointing" turnout for the seminar clearly proves you wrong. Nobody is buying the PGC's "magical, Mystical Method of accounting.
Also to accentuate my point simply look at the loss of nonresident license sales and that should convince even the most naive person of your misconception.

What's needed from the agency is a concerted effort and plan to stem the loss of license purchasers and turn the downward spiral around into a positive spin and increase in license sales. Was Carl Roe the best choice to lead the agency forward? Everyone initially presumed so. That has not been the case. The agency is failing. One would have thought that with Roe's military experience (30 year lifer) that he would have a no nonsense, take charge attitude. It would appear that he is a follower rather than a leader. Proof of that is the fact that he has not abated the rapid decline in license sales, the agency has no plan to address the problem, timbering has not increased to any significant degree, small game is at an all time low, and the deer programs failures are being blamed on biologists who no longer work for the agency.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Crazy Horse RVN

"It is usually people that aren’t happy with any program that show up to see what they can find wrong with the way things are being done. So, maybe there really aren’t as many disgruntled and unsatisfied hunters as some people and organizations think there are."

Dick, normally I would agree with your thought process. This time I respectfully submit that the overall decline in license sales over the years since the PGC inacted this poorly managed herd reduction program plus the loss of (currently) 14% license sales in the past 2 years coupled with the poor 'disappointing" turnout for the seminar clearly proves you wrong. Nobody is buying the PGC's "magical, Mystical Method of accounting.
Also to accentuate my point simply look at the loss of nonresident license sales and that should convince even the most naive person of your misconception.

What's needed from the agency is a concerted effort and plan to stem the loss of license purchasers and turn the downward spiral around into a positive spin and increase in license sales. Was Carl Roe the best choice to lead the agency forward? Everyone initially presumed so. That has not been the case. The agency is failing. One would have thought that with Roe's military experience (30 year lifer) that he would have a no nonsense, take charge attitude. It would appear that he is a follower rather than a leader. Proof of that is the fact that he has not abated the rapid decline in license sales, the agency has no plan to address the problem, timbering has not increased to any significant degree, small game is at an all time low, and the deer programs failures are being blamed on biologists who no longer work for the agency.
I think you are way off base and totally failing to portray the real picture concerning the reductions in license sales. First of all I have no intentions of even concerning myself with this year’s sales in any comparison because they are still selling this year’s licenses, so that data is far from complete. Therefore, this year’s sales data has no validly comparative relevance.

Here are some facts for you to mull over though since you and the deerfly what people to think the decline in license sales is from mismanagement of the deer or some other fault of the Game Commission.

Let’s look at the license sales from a period of time prior to the concurrent deer seasons, herd reductions or any affects from antler restrictions and see how they compare with the trend of decline in sales from last year.

Year…………………………...License sales………………………% amount of decline

1998……………………………..1,071,205†¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦.N/A
2002 (first year of AR)…………1,017,154……………………†¦â€¦- 5.0 %
2005………………………………964,158… ………………………- 5.2 %

I don’t see anything in the recent decline that is out of line with what had been happening for years prior to the present deer management plans or Executive Director Roe’s appointment.

Now, just how would you suggest we stop the downward trend in hunters in this state or across the nation? Do you think maybe we could somehow hold non-hunters and people that don’t have the time or interest in hunting hostage in one form or another until they buy a license whether they want one or not?

Dick Bodenhorn
Old 10-05-2006, 10:14 PM

Now, just how would you suggest we stop the downward trend in hunters in this state or across the nation?
[align=center]SUNDAY HUNTING!![/align][align=center][/align][align=left][/align][align=left]PS You left out these years:[/align][align=left][/align][align=left][align=left]
Year…………..license sold…………….difference……………….. % change

2000…………..1,038,846………………+ 5,531…………………...+ 0.5 %
2001…………..1,047,820………………+ 8,974…………………...+ 0.9 %
2003…………..1,018,248……………....+ 1,094…………………...+ 0.1 %
2004…………..1,013,866……………….- 4,382…………………...- 0.4 %
Dick Bodenhorn
WCO, Elk County
[/align][/align]