Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Really need some help with a choice >

Really need some help with a choice

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Really need some help with a choice

Old 08-19-2006, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default Really need some help with a choice

I have been debating on buying my PA license now for past 3 week. Non res. license are not cheap all toll I will have about $130 before a doe tag. Elk couty where I been hunting since I was 12 yrs old is in very bad shape as far as I can tell with deer numbers very low and no doe tags even available to non res. So I went to my only other option and started looking at my aunts property in Washington county. I been told there is big bucks in the area and I put a camara up over a mineral block she got on the edge of her yard to try and see if these bucks are even legal. Well to say the least I got 136 pics and about 50 videos but all of does and fawns except I had a few pics of a small 4 pt on the first day the cam was there. should I invest the money and time to hunt this area going from the word of other people that I do beleive but neither is a hunter and might not be able to judge a deer. This is also the property that I found this skull on this yr. appriate any opionions on this.

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j44/Trytan/Cam%20pics/ For anyone that wants to see doe and fawn videos.

This is the skull I found here earlier this summer.

Old 08-19-2006, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Really need some help with a choice

Washington Co. has areputation of having lots of deer and also really big bucks.

Being it has a 4 pt antler restriction of one side, that means you will have to count points and the buck will have to have a decent rack to carry that many points. The plus side is, many bucks get to survive another year and have a chance to get big. I hunt in Grene Co. and it has 4pt restiction there also. We see many sub-legal bucks and some dandys.

I know mant hunters that would prefer to hunt Washington Co but can't find anyone that will grant permission.

I'd rate Washington Co. as a much better county to hunt than Elk Co.

Hey, if you got permission to hunt your aunt's place, then I'd definitely give it a go. Like I said, That county has a reputation of having lots of deer and big bucks.

If you hurry, you should still be able to get a doe tag.

Put it this way, if you don't get your license, you'll be kicking yourself once the leaves start falling.