Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Mock Scapes

Old 08-14-2006, 06:19 AM

Default Mock Scapes

Do any of you guys use mock scrapes? When do you ususally start making them? what scents do you use in them?
Old 08-14-2006, 09:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Mock Scapes

Active Scrape or last year's frozen pee in a dripper , usually first or second week of September on through last of November . I mostly use them for halting deer at a shooting positon since they mostly check them at night , or for doing scouting counts . Great place to put a trail cam .
Old 08-14-2006, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

I'm going out next weekend to start mine. I usually use Tink's Trophy Buck Lure, but I'm sure any type of buck urine would work. I just take a garden spade and work the earth until I have an area 3-4' around. Put a couple of drops of scent and you are good to go. I don't usually hunt over them, but it lets me know if there is a buck in the area.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:12 AM

I'l tried making one with doe pea about sept 1st last year. I did end up shooting an eight point there but i don't think the scrap never got used. You guys ever try tarsal gland?
Old 08-20-2006, 09:55 PM
Spike

In my area, it is useless to start one in hopes of attracting bucks to come to your spot more frequently.
I have tried using all different scents and set up camera's on them. even if
a buck reacts to it it does not hold his interest long enough to keep coming back.
Mock scrapes are best made when you find a real one, (Fresh) and better to be a primary scrape..
and then you make yours next to his. put whatever buck lure you want in it. then hunt it for the next few days.

also whenever I hunt a make a fake scrape and sometimes a rub in a visible spotwhere I want to make my shot.so when a deer does come walking by and sees it the likely hood of them coming over to ck it out and give me a shot. It works you don't even need scent (sometimes i Forget to bring it with me) it works on their curiosity.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:59 PM
Spike

Oh, yeh if you can get real buck tarsal that is best lure. depending.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last season I started 2 mock scrapes, both were used daily. I knew were the bucks were coming and set them accordingly on the edge of a field behind my house. The bucks cruise a lot in the fall so I put them in spots I could out the window. Hoping to get them to stop in the daylight.

I used a trail maker lure early in the season and then switched to SilverTop from Bob Kirschner around mid October. At that point, the bucks would tear them up.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:36 PM

Thanks alot for all the help