Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 your favorite firearm season opener stands >

your favorite firearm season opener stands

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

your favorite firearm season opener stands

Old 08-11-2006, 12:09 PM

Default your favorite firearm season opener stands

I hunt in Northwestern PA and Southwesthen NY. And am just wondering what your guys favorite gun season stands are for when the pressure starts? Do you like to be way back as far away from the access points as possible in a secluded thicket? On excape routes leading to thickets, set up on a field edge, or in a thicket closer to access points that the deer will dive into for the closest cover?And what size deer are you looking for? Whats your spot and why do you think it works?
Old 08-11-2006, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: your favorite firearm season opener stands

the place I hunt funnels down to a bunch of hemlocks. I have a stand about 75 yards in front of the hemlocks. I hunt that stand on thanksgiving and opening day when the guys on the property out back do thier drives. Works everytime.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:54 PM

For me, it depends on the weather:
If it's very cold, I know the hunters will be moving before to long and I'll set up on the escape routes to cover. I have enough insulation i can usually wait the other hunters out.

If it warm, I'll set up on the normal bed and breakfast routes I would expect the deer to follow. Or I start my moving-stand.

Just before lunch I set-up on escape routes expecting the "lunch" movement will get the deer moving. Usually this works VERY well.

Incidently, the first Saturday I'll hunt the fields because I know that ere is usually a lot of hunter movement in the woods and I'll expect some running action in the open.

I've never had any success near the thickets. It seems I'm always on the wrong side.

Interesting question.

ChuckS

Old 08-15-2006, 11:07 AM

Anyone else
Old 08-31-2006, 11:05 AM

I have two good spots I like about 12 ac away from each other. One is a stand that sits up in the middle of the bottle end of a bottle neck of pines. they come in from the narrow und and work there way down the center right at me. The other is from the ground at the top of a ridge, filled with pines. strait down is a trail that's open and heads up the other side of the ridge. they walk the think stuff at the bottom and come right up that cleared trail about 175 years away. I love it when the guys way way out back drive up to the edge of there property, puts them in a B line towards me.

Botz [/align]