Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Any bucks in WV

Old 07-12-2006, 05:56 PM

Default Any bucks in WV

Hey guys im new here just wanted to see if anybody has been seeing any decent bucks in WV. I've been seening some nice ones in Grafton, onceI figure out how to post the pictures I have on my trail cam I'll post them
Old 07-13-2006, 09:05 AM
jf5

Default RE: Any bucks in WV

Welcome to the forum.

I have never hunted WV, but remember driving through there and seeing tons of deer. You should do well. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice to hear! Get those pictures loaded on here when you get a chance. How are the numbers in Grafton? We are just now recovering from low deer numbers in the eastern panhandle.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

I drove thru WV on I-79 2 weeks ago. In a80 mile stretch I counted over 100 deer just along the road
Old 07-15-2006, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cardeer

I drove thru WV on I-79 2 weeks ago. In a80 mile stretch I counted over 100 deer just along the road
..drive 80 miles down I-64 or I-81 & you won't see that many combined... west of 79 is where the good hunting is these days...
Old 07-18-2006, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you drove down I-79 then you passed me....Exit 40, Big Otter. I live five miles from the exit ramp....and there is a lot of deer around here.....but not as many as there has been a few years ago before the extended doe seasons...this year the number of tags are down so the deer numbers should be up in the next couple years.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in Putnam Co. and deer numbers are up in my neck of the woods. Looks like it's gonna be another good season.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WVCritterGitter

I live in Putnam Co. and deer numbers are up in my neck of the woods. Looks like it's gonna be another good season.
..Putnam...another west/central county... deer in the eastern part of the state are hurtin'......badly.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in Martinsburg and hunt in Jefferson County and can tell you that both deer numbers and quality are strong. Really nice deer.

I am originally from hardy co. --Moorefield and have land and hunt there as well and think that the deer there suffer somewhat from coyotes, imo.

A major problem with the quality of bucks historically in some areas throughout WVcomes with poor management (both by the state and the local hunters). Many hunters I know (most of which are great ol' country boys) still have the attitude that they'd shoot that little 4-point standing right beside a big ol' fat doe--just so "they got their buck". Antler restrictions by the state and some reduced limits on bucks would help. Local hunters/landowners practicing QDM really improves the local herd in places throughout the state, imo.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1

I live in Martinsburg and hunt in Jefferson County and can tell you that both deer numbers and quality are strong. Really nice deer.

I am originally from hardy co. --Moorefield and have land and hunt there as well and think that the deer there suffer somewhat from coyotes, imo.

A major problem with the quality of bucks historically in some areas throughout WVcomes with poor management (both by the state and the local hunters). Many hunters I know (most of which are great ol' country boys) still have the attitude that they'd shoot that little 4-point standing right beside a big ol' fat doe--just so "they got their buck". Antler restrictions by the state and some reduced limits on bucks would help. Local hunters/landowners practicing QDM really improves the local herd in places throughout the state, imo.
IO was born here in Berkeley..and can tell you that the herd is down...waaaaay down from past years. with the loss of nearly 85% of the farms/orchards due to Ryanization, the deer are forced into pockets, usually around said subdivisions where one cannot hunt. as for Jefferson, not as bad as berkeley with better quality deer(always was)... I too hunt near Needmore, and can say the deer has taken a beatin' up there... darn few this year.

Quick Reply: Any bucks in WV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.