Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Closing Medix Grade Road? >

Closing Medix Grade Road?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Closing Medix Grade Road?

Old 07-06-2006, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Closing Medix Grade Road?

Ifyou head up Tyler rd,through Parker dam,there's a gas well on you're right.The gas well is right along the road.Accross from that gas well is a trail that heads strait up through the tornado area,I'm sure you've seen it.If you walk about 3/4 of a mile up that trail,you'll hit a hardwood ridge that breaks of into a couple narrow benches that run parallel to a stream.That's about as close to a guanantee as you can get to kill a deer if there's a good mast crop and if the wind is right.That's an awesome spot.It borders the tornado area and the deer have everything they need right there.The drag back is kind of long but it's mostly downhill.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I know where you mean. That gas well isn't that far from the Mud Run Rd. (into Parker Dam)/ Tyler Rd. Intersection, and before you get to Blackwell Rd. Did that trail used to have a cable or something across it's beginning, and maybe a small sign of some sort on it at one time? It's gone now, if that's th place I'm thinking of. I've not been up there personally, but one of my buddies has, and he said it looked promising, although I'm not sure if he ever went back. That's another area that gets hit pretty hard in Bear season.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Drive through Parker dam from rt 153 and take a right on Tyler road.The gas well is just a little way up Tyler road on your right.The trail is on the other side of tyler road.I never remember it having a cable but is is blocked by a dirt pile.I used to hunt bear in there all the time.I actually rarely saw people in there.Most of the guys seem to post in the open woods that surround the blowdowns.Another good spot in archery season is just up the road about a mile.If you head up Tyler road,you'll see another road that goes to you're left a little ways before you hit that big pipeline.If you walk up that road(it's alsoblocked by a dirt pile)the torndao area is on you're left and there's open hardwoods on your right.I like to get just in on the right in the hardwoods.There's couple small clusters of oaks that are deadly to hunt when there's alot of acorns.The deer come out of the tornado areato feed on those oaks before heading deeper into the woods.that's good spot because there atren't alot of oaks in there and the deer really key in on what acorns are falling.It's a real easy spot to find.Just walk up that road until you hit a wide spot with a small apple tree right in the center of the road.The oaks are about 50 yards in to the right.It's about a half mile walk but it's very easy to slip into quietly.That's where I hunted last year on the first morning of archery season.I was in there scouting a couple weeks earlier and came one step from stepping on a big black phase rattler.I told myself i wouldn't go back until after the first frost.

I also like the area around Abbot hollow.Just past the Abbot hollow trail,there's a pipleine that goes up to the right in you're heading toward tyler road.If you go about halfway up that pipeline and head into the left,there's some open woods with a big thick patch of beech scrub.It's not great habitat but the deer head there when they're pushed.Put a treestand up along that thicket and you have a good chance of killing a buck there on the first day of rifle season.That's not a real far walk either.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

O.K............I know exactly where you're talking about now..and yes, I've hunted the area back in the big woods with the dirtpile at the front in spring gobbler season before. Never spent too much time back there, but did like the area. I'm unfamiliar with what you refer to as Abbot Hollow. Where is it? I'd like to take a look at it so I know where where you are talking about. Chances are that I've already been there, just didn't know it's name.
I know what you're talking about in regards to the rattlers in the area. One needs to be a little careful. I hunt the area around SGL 94 some, around Alex Branch and Roberts Run. Lots of rock outcroppings and den areas there. I agree, I don't like ramming around back in there until the weather turns colder, but lots of times the turkey hunting is too good to pass up. Great deer spot, too, but the drag out is a long one. A deputy for the Fish Commission often stops and parks his truck at our camp when doing rattler surveys in the area. He showed my wife and me some remarkable videos of rattlers he had taken one day within a mile of our camp, back in the denning areas. Makes you appreciate watching where you're stepping. I always walk around the yard at camp when we first arrive, checking it out before I let our big yellow Lab, Moses out. He has absolutely no fear of snakes. I've watched him walk up to and sniff blacksnakes in our yard at home. Big trouble if he tries that with a "timber".
Old 07-07-2006, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Abbot Hollow is on Buskirk road(the road that will take you to Lady Jane mine before Penfield)If you head down Buskirk rdtoward Lady Jane,you'llcross a pipeline and then you'll see a trail to your left with a sign thatsays Abbot hollow rd.I usually come in from the other direction so I pass the Abbot hollow sign on my right and then head up the right side of the pipeline and then I go into the left when I almost reach the top.

You'll have to let me know when you come up sometime.I can show you some good placeson Moshannon state forest closer to Penfield that has alot more deer and much better habitat.Youshould really check out SGL 93 as well.It's about 15 minutes from Parker dam and there's plenty of deer back in there.I saw a bunch this spring while scouting for turkeys in there.The PGC does a phenominal job with the habitat on those gamelands.We do have an excellent land manager around here though.I'm actually heading to Parker Dam on sunday for a little cook out.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds good...... I'll try to give you as much "heads up" notice as possible on a future trip. I get up fairly frequently to cut the grass at camp this time of the year. We don't like to let it get away from us or it becomes a real bear to get mowed up. Other trips will be coming up too, with maybe some overnighters with the other guys for work weekends. We like to keep things in good shape. This weekend is out, as our oldest grand-daughter is having a birthday party today, and the whole family is coming to our house tomorrow for a turkey dinner. Never a dull moment around here...................
Old 07-11-2006, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Doug...Thought I might get to camp this week sometime, but things aren't looking real promising. Too many other "pop-ups", if you know what I mean..........Possibly next week. Gotta get that grass cut!!!
Any more news on the gate situation as we have discussed on here already? If anymore info come up, I'd appreciate it. Still wondering what the actual intent is there. I hope cooler heads prevail.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I stopped at my buddies house this weekend but he wasn't home.He the district forester for DCNR in that area so he'll know for sure.I'll talk to him over the next couple of days and let you know.

I know what you mean about the pop-ups.Let me know when you're comingup and we'll check out a few places.