Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

[Deleted]

Old 11-03-2002, 02:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: UBNJ needs help to change EAB

STOP THE YOUTH HUNT: YOU ALL KNOW THERE ARE MANY WHO MAY OR MAY NOT TAKE THE KIDS OUT, WHO IN RETURN TAKE A SHOT AT THE DEER THEMSELVES. LAST YEAR I FORGOT ALL ABOUT THE YOUTH HUNT, BUT HEARD ALOT OF SHOOTING, THEN MY FRIEND TOLD ME IT WAS YOUTH DAY OVER OUR RADIOS. WELL HERE I AM SITTING BOWHUNTING, FEW HOURS GO BY SEE 2 HUNTERS ADULT/KID, DRAGGING A DEER, I WAS LIKE "THATS GREAT, KID GOT 1ST DEER"!!! WELL THEY STOP TO TAKE A BREAK I HEAR THEM TALKING, KID WAS UPSET THAT THE FATHER TOOK THE SHOT. NOT SAYING THIS HAPPENS WITH ALL, BUT MAYBE IT NEEDS TO BE MORE REGULATED NOT CANCELLED. I ALSO MET A FEW THAT DIDNT KNOW IM A COP, AND CLAIM THAT THEY NEVER TOOK THERE KIDS HUNTING ON THIS DAY, FOR WHATEVER THE REASON, SO WHY WAIST THE DAY SO THEY SAY, GO GUN HUNTING THEMSELVES.
Old 11-03-2002, 06:40 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-03-2002, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

It would be a shame to loose youth hunts. A friend of mine took his son last year and his son killed his 1st deer from his dads stand . It was a real turning point for that kid who is real interested in hunting now. Find out who the violators and take there liciences away forever.

Old 11-03-2002, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

i'm sure the majority of hunters out there use this hunt for its intented purpose. to get the kids involved and give them a good opportunity to be successful. i will be taking my 13 year old daughter out this year for the youth deer hunt to an active funnel area that i have intentionally left undisturbed during the bow season. even if the state required me to use one of my tags for her i would do it. any adult that would use this hunt for any other purpose makes me sick. getting rid of the youth hunt would be a step backwards,in my opinion.

Old 11-06-2002, 10:23 PM
Spike

NJBOWMAN. I wrote a letter to Mark Mcgarrity (the outdoor writer for the star Ledger who has since passed away) on this subject last year. He published it on Dec. 4th. My position was that Earn A Buck is unfair in that you can conceivably shoot 3 does (fall, extended and winter) and never take a buck even though you earned it 3 times over. My suggestion was that a hunter be allowed to shoot a buck in any season once he has taken a doe. Once he has taken a buck he must then take another doe before he can take another buck. Lets be honest, Who wants to shoot a doe in the last week of the Fall season when that will only leave you with a short time frame for taking a buck before you have to hunt does all over again. I was disheartened by a reply to my suggestion by Ed Markowski, Deputy Chief of the Bureau of Law Enforcement within the Sate DFW. He said, "The purpose of the Earn-a-buck program is not to guarantee the hunter an antlered deer per season. In fact, it's the opposite". Well that really put things in perspective for me. The state doesn't give a dam about us. They simply view us as population control devices and nothing more. We are the best value any government agency has ever received. They don’t have to pay us for our services. In fact, we pay them!!!