Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Brown Recluse Spiders >

Brown Recluse Spiders

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Brown Recluse Spiders

Old 03-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Brown Recluse Spiders

I just received an e-mail concerning the ferocity and dramatic results on the thumb of a man who was bitten by a Brown Recluse spider. It was enough to make you sick, from the pictures. Has anyone had similar results, and how prevalent are they? I live in PA., and have never known anyone personally who has been bitten. Tell you what, though...I'm gonna start being more careful in darkly-lit areas, and around woodpiles!!
Old 03-29-2006, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Brown Recluse Spiders

Be more scared of lightening while in a tree stand
Old 03-29-2006, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

Yes a brown recluse bite is terrible.... but we have more here in the south then you do in the north.... had a local FD give a talk on local hazards for a project, brown recluse came up.... NO ONE used the port-a-let onsite after that....

a friend got bit, had to spend sometime in the hospital.... but like what was said previously, I would be more afraid of lightning
Old 03-29-2006, 12:14 PM
Spike

From what i understand, brown recluse may be one of the deadliest spider's there are. I painted a ladies house who was bit by one and she had horrible side effects. She wound up becoming partly paralyzed because she was bit at night and never new. They found her the next morning. She has suffered from a severe case of agoraphobia (i think i spelled that right). She was terrified of insects and refused to leave her house of open any doors or windows. It was sad
Old 03-29-2006, 12:31 PM

yeah they are pretty nasty, a friend was bitten by three in the leg and is swelled up about 4 times the size with a crator where the bites where, they thought they would have to amputate but he got real lucky, it was a rater nasty sight but he is fine now. im not a fan of spiders, but im more worried about ticks while in the tree.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

If my house was infested with those, I'd try to burn it down and get away with it! They are some bad MF's!
Old 03-29-2006, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

I'm a funeral director in PA. I handled services several years ago for a guy who died as a result of a bite from one of these spiders. As I recall he was on vacation somewhere along the southeast coast when he got bit.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes very nasty. New a guy who spent a week in the hospital from a bite
Old 03-29-2006, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

They will not bother you in PA as they do not live here. You do need to be careful with shipments from the south/Miss river valley into Texas. They like to hide in the interleaving of boxes. So when you are unpacking your gear, watch out.

THe reactions also vary to the bit - some are deadly allergic and some are not affected at all.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:09 PM

I did some online research and here is the best site I have found for information:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2061.html

Quick Reply: Brown Recluse Spiders

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.