Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA HARVEST NUMBERS >

PA HARVEST NUMBERS

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA HARVEST NUMBERS

Old 03-17-2006, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA HARVEST NUMBERS

A CARD MAILED BACK SHOWS AN INCREASE IN THE HERD AND THEREFORE AN INCREASE IN NEXT YEARS TAGS!!!!!
False! They study reporting rates every year to get a baseline reporting rate for all WMU's. They do it by checking tags at butcher shops/taxidermists/field checksin every WMU and then cross checking with report cards sent in. You will only make the estimates more precise by sending them in...Send the darn things in, people!
Old 03-17-2006, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sending in a report card if you've killed a deer is an ethical hunter's obligation. Trying to skew the system only hurts everyone. If it were manditory for everyone to report regardless if one killed a deer or not we could put to rest the accusations that the PGC is fudging the numbers.
Oh baby I totally agree with that!
I think that every hunter should be obligated to fill out a report card regardless of success or failure to be eligible to buy a license the next year. If you cannot fill out a card, you should not be trusted with a weapon in the woods of PA.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:52 PM

I took the same sort of walk in the state gamelands on which I hunt, and was amazed at how many deer tracks I cut across. If I were hunting in the area you are, I probably would look for another area. You don't say what section of the Appalachian Trail you walked. Most of the trail is along ridgetops from the Delaware Water Gap to the Susquehanna. I would not expect to see much in the way of tracks at the top of the mountain in my area. The deer in January are usually lower on the mountain, but then, this is what my 52 years of experience as a hunter has taught me. It isn't how far you walk or how hard you hunt. It is how smart you hunt.
It still boggles my mind that you think sending in a card would cause the allotments of antlerless licenses to increase. You say you have a college degree, but make statements like that. Somebody has filled your head with a bunch of baloney, and it wasn't the blame commission. I expect allocations to be reduced in some of the management units, but it won't be because you are one of those who disobey the law and don't act like an ethical sportsman. If allocations are reduced, it will be because the herd has been reduced to below what the habitat can support, or because the habitat has started to recover.
There is only one word for people like you, and that is unethical. Don't be too proud of yourself. People like you are the problem, not the solution.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:05 PM

"If it were manditory for everyone to report regardless if one killed a deer or not we could put to rest the accusations that the PGC is fudging the numbers."

I hate to be the bringer of news in this way, but it is mandatory to send in a harvest report when you harvest a deer. Here, from the digest you got with your Pennsylvania license to hunt:

"Within 10 days, hunters must report deer harvests to the Game Commission in Harrisburg using the report card supplied with each hunting license."

Not reporting your kill makes you a violator of the law. A violator of the law is an outlaw. Now, do those of you who don't send in your report cards feel better since you know what you are?
Old 03-17-2006, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

I know lots of true sportmen and evory one havenever missed sending in a report card when they shot a deer,but I can't speak for the brown It's down croud I would guess they dont.
THIS NOT SENDING IN REPORT CARDS STARTED BACK IN 1985IT WAS A LIE THEN AND IT IS A BIGGER LIE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: patrkyhntr

Since you and your buddies play games with the harvest reporting system, please tell us how you would fix it. Also, since you don't believe or trust the blame commission, how about a source for some facts that you do trust. It seems to me that you are all gripe and no solution. I'll see if you post something worth reading in your next post, and if you don't, I have better things to do than to read this sort of trash.
It is interesting to me that most "sportsmen" in Pa. seemed to enjoy taking two or more does every year for about five years, but are oh so surprised when this resulted in a reduced deer population. I sat through one of Gary Alt's traveling dog and pony shows, and while he was busy rattling those nice antlers on stage, he was also talking about the need to REDUCE THE HERD. I keep coming back to the same thing. What part of "herd reduction" don't people understand?
So the population in your area is down 70% is it? Let's take the WMU I hunt in, 4A. Just in the past two years, 2004 and 2005, the doe harvest dropped from 22,000 in 2004 to 7600 in 2005. That is a pretty big drop in harvest. Now, if the blame commission was falsifying numbers, cardeer, don't you think they could have done a better job and made this look better? I sure could have. The total deer kill in 4A was down 28% in those two years. Wouldn't you have made it look better than that, cardeer? You are one of those who looks for a conspiracy where there is no logical reason for there to be one, but don't let that stop you.
If the harvest figures are not accurate, us "sportsmen" have nobody to blame but ourselves. Playing games with harvest report cards is so blatantly stupid that it defies anything in the way of common sense.
AGAIN I SENT IN MY CARD,bUT YES IDONT TRUST THE PGC

I WOULD HAVE MANDATORY CHECK IN STATIONS TO START,FINES FOR NOT CHECKING IN A DEER WOULD BE 2000.00 AND LOSS OF HUNTING PRIVILAGES FOR 5 YEARS.

UTILIZE OUR COLLEGE STUDENT.OTHER STATES DO.COLLEGE STUDENTS IN A ENVIROMENTAL FIELD RECIEVES COLLEGE CREDITS FOR COUNTING DEER IN THE FIELD.

PLANT FOOD PLOTS IN ALL GAMELANDS,OTHER STATES DO

KEEP ANTLER RESTRICTIONS BUT BACK TO A SEPERATE DOE SEASON IN GUN.

PAY LAND OWNERS WHO DO NOT ALLOW HUNTING TO OPEN THEIR LAND TO 1 HUNTER FOR EVERY 20 ACRES

PGC TO ORGANIZE BOW HUNTS IN THE BURBS AND FEDERAL PARKS

MICROMANAGE UNITS TO BIG RIGHT NOW

ONE DEER PER PERSON WHERE NUMBERS OUR DOWN ACCORDING TO A BETTER COUNTING SYSTEM

WITH PROPER GAMELAND FOOD PLOTS AND PRIVATE LAND OWNERS WHO MOST ALREADY PLANT FOOD FOR THE DEER A 18 DEER PER SG MILE WOULD BE NO PROBLEMS.

PRY SOME MONEY FROM THE PA HUNTER THAT JUST TAKES FROM THE SYSTEM AND PUTS NOTHING BACK INTO IT

RAISE THE LICENSE TO 35.00 TO SORT OUT THE WELFARE STYLE HUNTER

AFTER THE DEER POP IS BACK UP TO HIGHER LEVELS AND A GOOD COUNTING METHOD HAS BEEN USED THEY CAN CUSTOMIZE THE ALLOCATIONS

CUT THE TIES WITH THE TIMBER COMPANIES AND THEIR PAY OFFS

GET SOME COMMISSIONERS THAT ARE AVID HUNTERS,NOT SATURDAY AT A SPECIAL PAY PRIVATE HUNTIN CLUB

I FORGOT 20.00 ARCHERY TAG,20.00 MUZZY TAG AND 20.00 PER DOE TAG
Old 03-17-2006, 07:26 PM

So whats your point?????
Old 03-17-2006, 07:33 PM

Yes, I knew it was manditory to turn in a report card upon legally killing a deer, but also remember that the agency allows DMAP the option of not turning one in. That being the case one could argue that they aren't really interested in obtaining an accurate accounting.

Just how many deer did DMAP account for, 100, 1000, 20,000? Doesn't it matter?

What I find most disturbing about thematterconcerning report cards is that the PGC knowsless than 40 % of we hunters return them and in all these years have not made any changes in the system to improve their accounting system. That begs the question...WHY ???

Old 03-17-2006, 09:06 PM

a card is not goanna make a diffrence sent in or not if you don't listen to the hunters.The hunters who been hunting for a while and sees a decline in deer should be enough evidence that the deer heards on down.blame the fog and rain,how lame of an excuse.listen to the hunters who know the deer herds in the area they hunt.the spend more time in the wild than the pgc does.For the pgc to say the deer heards have not been declineing over the years shows that they don't spend much time out hunting rather than looking for violations to increase their money and not care about the wildlife in the state.i never sent a card in and will prob never.if they are to stupid to see the reduction in deer then they need to hire a new team who actually hunts and can see what is going on in the woods.This is like going to school and doing paper work and come out and get a job without any hands on training and telling people who have been there they are doing it wrong.if they are goanna be ignorant enough to keep selling doe liscense when the heards are down and they know they are.I and i am sure many people will still keep buying them.and that will be over a million doe tags each year till there is only 100 doe left in the state.Then they will only issue 500k tags..It doesn't matter if thecard is sent in or not.It's about the money...if you don't believe that then your an idiot....
Old 03-18-2006, 03:32 AM

A good example. Thank you.

Quick Reply: PA HARVEST NUMBERS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.