Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Wild Boars in NYS >

Wild Boars in NYS

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Wild Boars in NYS

Old 01-10-2006, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wild Boars in NYS

This article was in Syracuse Post Standard this past Friday. I was waiting to see if somebody else would post it. Here's the link.
www.syracuse.com/outdoors/poststandard/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1136540268194581.xml&coll=1

I'd arrow one those bad boys if came my way!!!!
Old 01-10-2006, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wild Boars in NYS

My neighbor told me he see`s them near elmira(SP) in open corn fields. I`d like to take one and have a pig roast.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Host of Hosts

Very interesting article, but some won't beleive it is true unless they see some sort of billboard in the backgroundto validate it being truly from NY and not some southern state. Either that or confirmation from a major university or NY government agency.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I posted this on Syracuse.com in the outdoors forum to. I would love a chance to take a boar without paying the high price for one.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:37 PM

How far north can those things spread? NY is just one state away and I'd rather not have them in VT. The deer population here has it hard enough without having to copete with wild hogs. I'm hoping that the average winter would kill off any hogs that make it this far.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:47 PM

Wild boars. News to me. Im 8 miles from elmira and never hurd nor seen any boars down this way. but if i did there would be a nice little pig roast party put on by me. bring your own beer of course!
Old 01-28-2006, 03:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well if they make it up to Northern NY you can bet i am gonna drop one!
Old 01-28-2006, 06:18 AM

As the Post Standard article stated, there is a breeding population in central NY according to the DEC. As far as moving further north, I wonder how well they tolerate the cold weather. I realize they are Russian boars which probably means their ancestors were a pretty hardy animal, but they seem to flourish more in the Southern states. As long as the DEC doesn't regulate them, they could fill in the gaps for hunting between the big game seasons. The thing I wonder about however is the fact that most states that have large populations of them are not usually that happy about it. Will similar problems come to NY if the population of hogs grows to the levels of some of the southern states?
Old 01-28-2006, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, if it is anything like the European, and probably is similar, they can thrive in cold. I am betting they will spread too, because they were right, they can have a litter twice a year and have from 3 to like 12 in each litter, and I think if I am not mistaken can breed at 1 year, so that means lots of piglets running around and then more and then more......

and I am sure as they spread they will determine they must be exterminated....... hey maybe we can start "Pig Busters" go all over the state looking for Russian boars! [8D]
Old 01-28-2006, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very interesting article, but some won't beleive it is true unless they see some sort of billboard in the backgroundto validate it being truly from NY and not some southern state. Either that or confirmation from a major university or NY government agency.
You are absolutely correct, fight4yourguns. That's all it takes to convince me and others. Simple verificationfrom a reliable source,and in the case of wild boar it's already been done. Small sustainable populations have been verified by both the New York DEC and the PA game commission. In fact the PGC will verify they have become a nuisance in some western counties. With regard to mountain lions however, and that's what your little remark is about, both will tell you they have noverifiable evidence and reports by uncle Harry's 2nd cousin who has a friend who works for an insurance company just doesn't cut it for me!

Quick Reply: Wild Boars in NYS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.