Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Wild Boars in NYS >

Wild Boars in NYS

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Wild Boars in NYS

Old 01-30-2006, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wild Boars in NYS

A guy I hunt with saw one in 5n 2 years ago and a guy shot one just over the border in VT the same year. It is rumored they got out from the battenkill hunting club, which has elk, stag, boars, bison, fallow, whitetail etc...
Old 01-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure where they came from but usually as some one says they get off a hunting preserve/area, and then breed or mix in with domestics that have gotten loose, and at the breeding rate doesnt take long.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

not real shocking to hear. There are several preserves that offer boar hunting (one in Homer - near Cortland, 1 in norther PA - near Elmira, and others), so it isn't a stretch that some can get out of the fences and roam free.

one thing I am not quite sure about is the statement early on about being able to shoot the animal. My understanding is this - if there is no season, you cannot harvest the animal whether it's a boar, monkey or elephant. Take moose for example or even mountain lions for that matter - say you happen to see one, you just can't shoot it because "its not protected by state game laws". not sure, but......
Old 01-31-2006, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now I would be curious about that one myself, but if I ain't mistaken it was a game officer that shot one, and sure they would know!
Old 01-31-2006, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted them in Tioga county PA. Never killed one, but did see them with my own eyes. Locals said they escaped from a local high fence game farm, and were actually breeding on their own. The destroyed a farmers corn field the year we hunted them, and they were VERY smart.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

i think it depends on the animal.

if its an escaped domestic animal, then it isnt protected by game laws.

i know that around me some guy had some fallow deer, and when he died his wife let them go. thinkt here was three of them. I saw them once or twice out in a field, and then a local redneck yahoo shot them, or at least the buck. And he didnt get in trouble for it because they werent a wild animal, and nobody was claiming them. I highly doubt he was the type of guy to check into it before hand, but im pretty sure someone did after he bragged about it all over town.

my dad is always talking about how he wants to go on a boar hunt, but doesnt want to go to a high fence ranch around here. Maybe in a year or two we can jsut head down state.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well take me with you! I live pretty close to you. Bet by then they won't be hard to find!
Old 02-01-2006, 08:43 AM

I live in Delaware County...and cannot wait for them to show up here...
Pig Roast, I will buy the keg...
Man, it would be endless fun hunting those things, and I am sure that farmers would be more than willing to let you take them!

Here piggy, piggy, piggy
Old 02-01-2006, 11:23 AM

i had an incident where I hunt with a couple of fallow deer that got loose on a guy I know and it was right before rifle season in WNY - the local DEC officer said that fallow deer could breed with whitetail and they did not want that happening and told the guy to do what he could to get them penned up or they were free game come hunting season.

Same guy that had these just had an Emu get loose a couple of weeks ago and still cann't catch it - he told me that if I see it to shoot it because it has been spotted all over town and he tried to get it once and it kicked him square in the chest and sent him sailling. Imagin calling that thing in during spring turkey.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

can you imagine what would be going through a newbies face if that happened! We always tell em they look bigger close up, but I can just see the Emu coming out of the trees and the newbie, well having an accident or running so fast their legs wouldnt catch them....... something for funniest home videos! Me, I would shoot and say dang that is small this year! [8D]

Quick Reply: Wild Boars in NYS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.