Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Just taking a walk >

Just taking a walk

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Just taking a walk

Old 01-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default Just taking a walk

In my last post i posted that when i am getting frustrated because i am not seeing deer i usually walk around the woods. I usually walk in areas i had never been before and just take in the scenery. I usuallly have it in my head by this time that i am not gonna get a deer and just walk around.I was wondering how many of you do this?
Old 01-01-2006, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Just taking a walk

Season ended a few weeks ago so this is when I do my walking around. Usually looking for new stand locations. I just love being in the woods and since the lake isn`t froozen yet for fishing, I`ll do alot of walking this yr.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:06 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: stretchhunts

Season ended a few weeks ago so this is when I do my walking around. Usually looking for new stand locations. I just love being in the woods and since the lake isn`t froozen yet for fishing, I`ll do alot of walking this yr.

Nothing better!
Old 01-01-2006, 12:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I usuallly have it in my head by this time that i am not gonna get a deer and just walk around.
I walk around sometimes , but learned never to think I'm not goona get a deer, To many surprises. I actually brought home 2 or 3 of those surprises.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:50 PM

There is nothing better than taking a walk in the woods, but always be ready for the unexpected. I know that I've been pleasently suprised in the past.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ahh yes,
You get to the point that you accept the thought of not getting anything and the pressure comes off. Makes a day in the woods very enjoyable in a way. You somehow relax more and as a result see more, at least more sinks in. This is the very moment when surprises can happen and your whole hunting year can come together in a split second. Just like foootball, the final moments of the game can yield the prize you have been fighting for all year. Don't ever quit because the game isn't over till the tag says "expired". How satisfying would it be to tag a trophy at that moment? Extremely!
Old 01-02-2006, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

I do that. If there is snow on the ground I'll follow tracks for a while or I'll also go look in the not so well known spots. I plan on doing that this coming Friday for the last section of firearms season. I'll set up Friday morning and if nothing happens I'll start walking. Then after lunch I'll go to an area that I've never been before and look for places to set up Saturday morning. Then I'll do more of the same on Saturday. Yeah I haven't gotten a deer this year but I've seen more deer and learned more about deer this year than ever. It has been more successful than years I got deer.

Bow hunting helps a TON with this learning.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

Ive seen some of the biggest deer ever doing this. 10:00 rolls around andif I havent seen anything ill still hunt thru the woods or firebreaks. Sometimes if I get numb from the cold Ill get down and walk to warm up and then walk back to stand and hunt a lil more. now I hunt a 100 acre farm and cant really do any walking like whenI was hunting 1200 acres of state land. but in the off season I tromp all over looking for sign and sheds, makes a good outing with the wife and kids, they love it.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've taken quite a few deer in January since I essentially have the woods to myself and the deer start to "yard up" I guess. I wasn't seeing any deer at all until last week and then I saw a bunch--24 in my yard and field at 5:00pm last Tuesday. I took a nice doe Staurday morning which I gave away to a friend, but they're finally starting to move again here since I use a bow exclusively for deer hunting.. They seem to think it's safe here!
Old 01-03-2006, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

WOW all you guys that can hunt deerin Jan. Must be nice.