Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How far do you walk? >

How far do you walk?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How far do you walk?

Old 07-26-2008, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How far do you walk?

How far do you walk to get to your stands? I park in a farm yard and walk from 100 yards to a 1/4 mile. Depending on which stand. So in your opinions how long should that take to walk? Being sneaky and so forth. I think I walk too fast cause I'm worried about spooking deer and I want to get in and let things calm down.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How far do you walk?

I would say for most all hunts it is about the same as you. I do have one spot that is like 3/4 mile straight up the mountain. When I used to smoke, it was a really killer, now its just killer.[8D]
Old 07-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anywhere from 1/4 mile to 3/4 mile
Old 07-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I generally walk about the same distances as you sometimes a little farther.

I always approach my stand as if I am still hunting (unless it's dark) Also take into account where the deer are and which way the wind will be moving any scent I am giving off.

I sometimes lengthen my approach either because of the wind or just trying to be less visible.

Dan
Old 07-26-2008, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

depends on which farm for me.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sometimes I go deep sometimes I don't! Either way I go straight to my stand without messing around! I don't like to waste time getting there, I bee-line it and get on stand! I'm hunting that stand for a reason and I want to get there and get set up quickly!
Old 07-26-2008, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I walk about a 1mile to most of my stands. I have a couple that are notmuch of a walk, 1/2 mile. Then I have a couple others that are little over 3 miles, I usually hunt all day at this locations.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mostly less than a quarter mile for bow season,

Sometimes i could walk 2 or 3 miles for gun if im hunting state land
Old 07-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

I'm also probably anywhere between 1/4 and 3/4 mile depending on which stand I hunt.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt our Farm that is around 105 Acres,I'm thinking the farthest point I have to walk is around 1/4 mile?Some of my stands are closer and depending on how much time I have to hunt I will sit in a closer stand if time is short or I walk the bottom field and sneak up the back way to my ladder stand over-looking the big open CRP field with the food plots in it.If we have anything planted in the bottom fields (turnips,winter wheat etc..) I like to walk along the openfield edge next to the woods and slip into my climbing stand or walk the upper open Ridge Field and slip in from the back side down through the woods to my climber!I like to change off how I go to my stands or I use the same route and put a drag line on my leg with some scent on it to get the Bucks to follow my scent trail!

If I'm hunting our Lease Property we have over 350 acres to hunt and there are all kinds of steep hollers,big hills and area's I haven't even got to scout or check out yet because it is spread out so dang far...must be or feels like 2-3 miles scattered over some really big woods! [&:]

Quick Reply: How far do you walk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.