Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Baiting vs. Planting Deer Feed - what's The Difference? >

Baiting vs. Planting Deer Feed - what's The Difference?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Baiting vs. Planting Deer Feed - what's The Difference?

Old 12-29-2005, 08:00 AM

Default Baiting vs. Planting Deer Feed - what's The Difference?

This year a good friend of mine from PA harvested a beautiful mature 8 pointer with a 17 inch spread on the first Friday of the regular firearms season.

When I asked him about the kill, he said he shot the deer in a field MID-DAY on the first Friday of the regular firearms season. This perplexed me that an older mature buck would wander out into an open field when the shots and hunter presence around him would have easily clued him in that it was deer season.

According to my friend, the field contained 60 acres of "New Zealand Pro Graze" that they planted for the deer.

Why does PA allow planting of crops that are specifically aimed for no other reason than feeding deer? What the hell is the difference between putting out a pile of apples/corn/salt, and planting 60 acres of deer food in a field?

They are both baiting, right?

- Gr8ful
Old 12-29-2005, 08:11 AM

Default RE: Baiting vs. Planting Deer Feed - what's The Difference?

You are getting into a field of ethics where there are not absolutes, but let me try. In Pennsylvania, hunting deer and other animals over a pile of bait, a feeder, or something of that nature is ILLEGAL. I used the caps to make a point. Some don't consider it UNETHICAL. There is a difference. In many states and in several Canadian provinces, hunting over bait is completely legal for some species of game animals. There are still those who consider it unethical, even though it is legal. They should not do it if they feel that way.

Planting a feed plot to attract deer or other species is not illegal in this state. Most don't consider it unethical either. I am not sure where you draw the line between a field of Imperial Clover, an alfalfa field, or a cornfield. A field is a field. A food plot is a field, regardless of size. I see nothing wrong with your friend's kill, either ethically or legally. It is for others who have their moral absolutes firmly fixed to make judgements. I don't, but have just rendered an opinion.

Would I hunt over bait? I certainly would if it were legal, and especially if the circumstances made it the only practical way to hunt a species. In some areas of Canada, baiting is the only way you would get to see a black bear. I much prefer spot and stalk hunting as it is done in British Columbia, but a baited hunt is not a sure thing in Alberta.

We probably will beat this one to death, and I expect the 'holier than thou' types to jump in an pronounce hunting over bait to be as evil as devil worship.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

The day that one of you baiters can tell me you carry those bags of apples & corn out to the woods every day of the year then you can question food plots.If you are to pig headed to understand that a food plot is there 365 days a year for all animals to feed on ,not for the 3 weeks that you are sitting there to shoot them.If you don't like to hunt don't hunt.If you like to watch the deer throw some corn out & watch them.But don't wait till the snow is butthole deep to a tall indian to throw some corn out & shoot a deer then tell me you are a deer hunter.

Baiting whether legal or illegal is wrong moralyorethically ,using one of the three necessities of life "air ,water & food" to kill an animal is just wrong.A deer can live without its sense of smell or its hearing to compare these senses with an animals need for food is justignoring the factsof life.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:06 AM

Bawanajim:

... So, by your logic, if someone were to stock a corn feeder, so that it had feed in it every day of the year, it would be ok?

After all, the food would be there every day for all the animals to enjoy even when it wasn't open season. Clearly, squirrels, grouse, pheasants, turkeys and bears would have just as much access to afeeder as deer would have to a 60 acre plot of New Zealand Pro Graze.

I honestly am not trying to play "holier than thou" and I am not trying to say that either method should be or shouldn't be allowed. It just seems very contradictory to consider planting a field full of deer food to be a habitat improvement/conservation measure, while putting out corn, apples, or salt is regarded asunethical andillegal.

They are bothbaiting ... are they not?

- Gr8ful
Old 12-29-2005, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I plant plots to feed the critters all year long and get a kick out of watching them,that's my goal.Hopefully the plots will keep game around to provide better hunting.
A plot takes alot of time and money.Plenty of sweat goes into making a plot.
It's a tough call to compare the two because a fellow could say he's filling his feeder year round to feed the critters.It's personal preference I suppose.But as for now baiting is illegal therefore I'm against it.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Gr8ful Deer

Bawanajim:

... So, by your logic, if someone were to stock a corn feeder, so that it had feed in it every day of the year, it would be ok?

After all, the food would be there every day for all the animals to enjoy even when it wasn't open season. Clearly, squirrels, grouse, pheasants, turkeys and bears would have just as much access to afeeder as deer would have to a 60 acre plot of New Zealand Pro Graze.

I honestly am not trying to play "holier than thou" and I am not trying to say that either method should be or shouldn't be allowed. It just seems very contradictory to consider planting a field full of deer food to be a habitat improvement/conservation measure, while putting out corn, apples, or salt is regarded asunethical andillegal.

They are bothbaiting ... are they not?

- Gr8ful
If you can fill a 60 acre feeder every day you are a good man.Not very smart but a good man just the same.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

I think they are both "BAITING". You plant a food plot to bring deer to a certain area. You put apples,corn,salt out to bring a deer to a certain area. Since you think it`s okay b/c plots are there 365 days a yr what if you have corn or apples on site 365 days a year does that make it ok. What if you plant apple trees in your spot? is that baiting or a food plot? I really think IMO that if you feed deer outside of season it should be ok.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:30 AM

What's the difference in hunting a corn or soybean field, apple orchard or oak grove and a food plot?
Old 12-29-2005, 09:42 AM

No difference in my book.
If you hunt over or arounda food plot it is baiting.
If you hunt around oak or beach trees, that is hunting because that is the deer's natural food.
PGC is setting a bad example by putting food plots on gamelands.

Anyone that hunts around food plots I don't consider a hunter.
Example: States that allow shooting bears over bait, what kind of a hunt is that!!! You might as well go to the zoo and shoot one.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:49 AM

What did I tell you?
"We probably will beat this one to death, and I expect the 'holier than thou' types to jump in an pronounce hunting over bait to be as evil as devil worship."

They showed up, didn't they? There are always those who feel morally superior to others that are willing to show us the error of our ways.

Quick Reply: Baiting vs. Planting Deer Feed - what's The Difference?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.