Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Public Land

Old 12-22-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Public Land

[ol][*]How many hunt/ fish public land?[*]How many need more inforamtion on what is available?[*]How do you presently go about getting your information?[*]Is the information that you get good or useable?[/ol]
Just some questions that I'd like to know. Others feedback and thier views are great. Opens my views on the subject.

Old 12-22-2005, 02:55 PM
jf5

Default RE: Public Land

1. I hunt pulic land in MA.

2.Any additional information on what is available would be great. While my state does well to give info on public access, habitat composition, and other general info. Additional info would be nice. (Approx DPSM figures, past figures,more specific harvest data,and otherresearch findings)

3. Info published by state agencies in print or online. Map reading and other "homework". Word of mouth.And off course, legwork.

4. Info is very good usually, but could be more. (See #2)
Old 12-22-2005, 04:43 PM
Spike

I hunt public land in Ny and hopefully this winter in Nj the state run websites are pretty helpful, especally Nj, but as Jf5 says theres nothing like legwork.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: jf5

2.Any additional information on what is available would be great. While my state does well to give info on public access, habitat composition, and other general info. Additional info would be nice. (Approx DPSM figures, past figures,more specific harvest data,and otherresearch findings)

3. Info published by state agencies in print or online. Map reading and other "homework". Word of mouth.And off course, legwork.

jf5, I see that you mentioned more specific harvest data. Are you talking about the deer harvest numbers? If so Mass Wildlife has pretty specific info on their site year by year, season by season, zone by zoneas well as historical harvest numbers.

Here are some links.

2001 Deer Harvest Summary -- A series of tables providing a break down of deer taken in 2001 (Posted March 11, 2002)
2002 Deer Harvest Summary -- A series of tables providing a break down of deer taken in 2002 (Posted March 25, 2003)
2003 Deer Harvest Summary -- A series of tables providing a break down of deer taken in 2003 (Posted April 21, 2004)
2004 Deer Harvest Summary -- A series of tables providing a break down of deer taken in 2004 (Posted March 21, 2005)
Historical Deer Harvest Summary -- A table summarizing harvests by season from 1966 to 2004.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:29 PM

Everybody hunts private land, I'm impressed!
Old 12-23-2005, 06:52 AM

1. i hunt public and private land in pa...and also have recently moved to maryland and need more info on public hunting land
2.definitely need more info on whats available in md
3. use info from the web
4. useful to some degree....but from what i gather....it seems a lot of public areas in md require special permits....not entirely sure though
Old 12-23-2005, 08:21 AM
jf5

ORIGINAL: MassBowhunter

jf5, I see that you mentioned more specific harvest data. Are you talking about the deer harvest numbers? If so Mass Wildlife has pretty specific info on their site year by year, season by season, zone by zoneas well as historical harvest numbers.

Here are some links.

2001 Deer Harvest Summary -- A series of tables providing a break down of deer taken in 2001 (Posted March 11, 2002)
2002 Deer Harvest Summary -- A series of tables providing a break down of deer taken in 2002 (Posted March 25, 2003)
2003 Deer Harvest Summary -- A series of tables providing a break down of deer taken in 2003 (Posted April 21, 2004)
2004 Deer Harvest Summary -- A series of tables providing a break down of deer taken in 2004 (Posted March 21, 2005) [align=left]Historical Deer Harvest Summary -- A table summarizing harvests by season from 1966 to 2004. [/align]
Thanks MA Bowhunter. I have seen this data, and am happy that MA supplies it. Don't get me wrong, I think MA supplies good data. But, I still would like to see DPSM figures that the biologists estimate for DMZ's. Harvest info is great, but its very general. And with zones varying greatly in size and hunting pressure, its only a snapshot of the big picture.

Also. When deer are checked, other info is collected that is not published. Wether the deer was taken on public or private land. What town it was taken in. What times the deer where harvested. I would like to see all that info as well. Current harvest in Zone 11 is impressive. But how much of that is on puclic land with shotgun??

Again, I think MA does a great job with what we have, so I am not knocking them. But in a perfect world, I would love to see that additional data.

Thanks again,

JF5
Old 12-23-2005, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks MA Bowhunter. I have seen this data, and am happy that MA supplies it. Don't get me wrong, I think MA supplies good data. But, I still would like to see DPSM figures that the biologists estimate for DMZ's. Harvest info is great, but its very general. And with zones varying greatly in size and hunting pressure, its only a snapshot of the big picture.

Also. When deer are checked, other info is collected that is not published. Wether the deer was taken on public or private land. What town it was taken in. What times the deer where harvested. I would like to see all that info as well. Current harvest in Zone 11 is impressive. But how much of that is on puclic land with shotgun??

Again, I think MA does a great job with what we have, so I am not knocking them. But in a perfect world, I would love to see that additional data.

Thanks again,

JF5
Ok, I see. I definately agree with you on the points you've brought up. It would be nice to have the additional info. It's all going somewhere so why not publish it?Or at least give us hunters access to itsince we're helping them collect the data.[/align][/align]Of course we all know that90% of Zone 11 deerare logged as coming fromRocky Gutter regardless of where they're actually taken. No one wants to give up any info that might invite more hunters since good places to hunt are getting harder to find with each new development. Can't count how many times people say they took a deer there that have never even been to the place. [/align][/align]I found some DPSM info on their site. You've probably read the same info but I figured I post it just in case. Talk about pinpoint accuracy. [/align][/align]Population: 85,000 to 95,000 statewide. Densities range from about 10 per square mile in northwestern Massachusetts to 50 to 60 per square mile on Nantucket Island.[/align][/align]
Old 12-23-2005, 12:36 PM
jf5

ORIGINAL: MassBowhunter

Thanks again,

JF5
Ok, I see. I definately agree with you on the points you've brought up. It would be nice to have the additional info. It's all going somewhere so why not publish it?Or at least give us hunters access to itsince we're helping them collect the data.
[/align]
[/align]Of course we all know that90% of Zone 11 deerare logged as coming fromRocky Gutter regardless of where they're actually taken. No one wants to give up any info that might invite more hunters since good places to hunt are getting harder to find with each new development. Can't count how many times people say they took a deer there that have never even been to the place.
[/align]
[/align]I found some DPSM info on their site. You've probably read the same info but I figured I post it just in case. Talk about pinpoint accuracy.
[/align]
[/align]Population: 85,000 to 95,000 statewide. Densities range from about 10 per square mile in northwestern Massachusetts to 50 to 60 per square mile on Nantucket Island.
[/align]
[/align]
LOL, I know what you mean. Rocky Gutter must have over100 DPSMfrom the reports you hear Did my time in zone 11. Less andless land to hunt every year unless you know someone with private property. I am back out west now.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Wild Outdoorsman

Everybody hunts private land, I'm impressed!
Public land. Don't be so impressed. The people that hunt deer on public land in PA either left the board or got run off.

Quick Reply: Public Land

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.