Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Public Land

Old 12-23-2005, 03:06 PM

Default RE: Public Land

Thanks! All states in the region are welcome.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wild Outdoorsman

Are you writing a piece? What publication?

Post some pictures if you get the chance - I'd like to see some of your work.

FH
Old 12-24-2005, 04:09 AM
Typical Buck

I hunt public land in md. I use to go to the ranger station right where I hunted if I could catch em there, and they would give me maps etc. You could also type in the search engine (your state) dnr and that should tell ya where you can hunt. also once you find where you want to hunt you can go to the local acrigultural building and get ariel photos of that land. thes maps might be old but they still give you an idea. they also have topo maps once you get these drive out and look around, take the family they'll love it .......good luck
Old 12-24-2005, 06:13 AM
Fork Horn

Here's another place you can get arial photos and topo maps for free. I think it works ok on dial-up connections. Not positive though.

Once you zoom in there's a spot on the top of the map where you can choose arial or topo.

http://terraserver-usa.com/cmap.aspx?PPD=1&R=4&C=4&W=1
Old 12-24-2005, 06:16 AM

I'm still here. I hunt on public land, in fact state gameland in Pennsylvania. Some have disputed what I say, but they haven't run me off. Most of those who try are just bitten by the green-eyed monster.

There are two really great sources for information and maps to public land in my state. The first is for state gamelands, the Pennsylvania Game Commission's website. There, you can download and print good and detailed maps of any gamelands in the state. Here is a website addy for maps.
http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/browse.asp?a=480&bc=0&c=69913&pgcNav=|

For other public land in the state, state forests, you can download maps and information at the DCNR website. The maps are as detailed as you could want them to be. The first site below is an overview of Pennsylvania's State Forests:
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/documents/PA_DCNR_FIA.pdf

If you want maps of a particular state forest, you can go to the following site. Click on the forest you want, and then select map.
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/stateforests/index.aspx

For example, this link takes you to a map of the Sproul State Forest in the northcentral part of the state:
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/stateforests/sproulmap.aspx

I hope this helps those in PA.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:50 PM

I'll be trying my hand at public land in Maryland next season. I'm in the Frederick area if anyone else is new to the area and wants to combine efforts to learn the area for next season.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:17 AM

Thank you all for your help. Have a Merry Christmas.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:23 PM

I hunt any land i can get permission to hunt be it public or private.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

I've been hunting public land for 2 years now. mostly during bow so the numbers are down. i get info from the local/regional environmental agency. it is accurate and usefull...but does not show all the state /public land i have found out. public land can get a little crazy opening day of gun. but the deer run crazy due to the number of hunters so get there early and look for thickets that lead to areas off the public land. deer seem to know were the safe havens are (private land that boarders public). got my deer this year running straight for it. upon dressing talked to a seasoned hunter and he said this was a good spot. deer just seem to funnel right through the area cause its safe on the other side of the public boundary.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

I bow hunt on state land in NY then when gun season starts I move to private land.

Quick Reply: Public Land

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.