Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 1 DEER AND YOUR DONE >

1 DEER AND YOUR DONE

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

1 DEER AND YOUR DONE

Old 12-20-2005, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 1 DEER AND YOUR DONE

I forgot something turkeyhunter.
I have seen the browselines up north and I feel in areas the herd did need to be trimmed and indeed it was.But some of those areas are reaching dangerously low deer populations and it's time for the PGC to take action and cut the number of tags and or shorten the seasons.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

i am not crying .i am only concerned that letting a hunter kill 3 ,4 or 5 deer in wmu that hasvery few deer , is not good.that was my point.that hunter continues to kill all those deer and others see nothing. its like me,i can fish a hole out of creek faster than you can throw your line in.do i, no.i release all fish i catch most of time.if i did not, many fisherman would catch very few trout.same with hunting.i let 4 doe walk for 2 weeks of hunting here in pa.i could have killed them ,i chose to not to.why, i want to see fawns and young bucks grow up. if doe hunting continues in WMU 2G here in pa. i cant see many hunting anymore.then the ones that want hunting stopped altogether and want us out of woods, will move in.i hope you can see that.no deer=no hunters and in comes the ANTI-HUNTERS.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:07 PM

We are not so far apart in our thinking, germaine.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was thinking the same thing TH.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

I get out into game lands a lot. i walk far, i hunt hard. in my area inot only go by not seeing many deeri also go by not seeing much sign ofthem. if i kill a deer or turkey i turn in my report card.I dont say"theres nodeer" but i say the herd is to far down in my area. with that being said does this make me a "bad sportsmen" ?
I also agree w/ germain about the sunlight needing to reach the floor.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:41 PM

ORIGINAL: dirz1

My evidence would have to be myself, family, friends, and a lot of other hunters especially from this board. We are not seeing any deer on the gamelands. This is in parts of 4C, 2G, 3D, 4D.that is just off the top of my head.

dont know who your talking to but we got plenty of deer in 3d everyone i know filled there tags seen alot of nice bucks all on state and federal land i had about 15 deer in my yard this morning and see about 5-20 every day on the way to rt 80
Old 12-21-2005, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

IM SAYING I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW MANY DEER ARE ESTIMATED AND HOW MANY ARE ACTUALLY ACCOUNTED FOR SO WE CAN SEE HOW MANY DEER THEY ESTIMATE BEING KILLED COMPARED TO THE ONES THEY ACTUALLY KNOW WERE KILLED. I AM SURE THAT THE NUMBER OF DEER ESTIMATED IS A LOT HIGHER THAN DEER ACCOUNTED FOR.
AND I AM ALSO IN FAVOR FOR AR JUST NOT IN FAVOR OF SUCH DRASTIC HR. AND I NEVER SAID THEY GC FALSIFIES THEIR REPORTS I JUST THINK THEY REALLY DONT HAVE ANY WAY OF GETTING AN GOOD ACCURATE ESTIMATE. LIKE I SAID I JUST WANT THEM TO POST THEIR FIGURES SO WE CAN SEE HOW THEY COME UP WITH THEIR ESTIMATES COMPARED TO HOW MANY DEER THEY KNOW FOR SURE WERE KILLED
Old 12-21-2005, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I really think most of us have close to the same goals.Our methods of getting there seem differant its the end result that matters.The P.G.C. in its usual wisdom chooses to ignore the very people that they are payed to serve.As hunters we do have the power to change things it will just take time.Some of you that live in the middle of the stateare paying a heavy price for the goals the state set for you.
Join your local sportsmens clubs talk to your friends&neighborsmake sure your young hunters get deer & make sure anyone that needs meat gets it,but then think about if you really need to shoot a doe.If you have a farmer that wants deer shot go there and hunt.
As for these guys that need to shoot 3-5 deer,stay away from them If they have so little resepct for deer that they feel the need to kill them just to give them away,there is no reason to be seen or hunt with them.

There are places that have to many deer & there always will be but there is no reson for this whole sale doe slaughter state wide!
Over time your deer will come back to huntable numbers & your kids will thank you.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:53 AM

It is not necessary to shout to get your point across.
Here is a link to an article written by Dr. Chris Rosenberry in which he explains how the game commission arrives at the estimated numbers. http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=465&q=151378

While the article is long, if you manage to read it through to the end I think you will have a fairly good idea how the numbers are determined. There is never going to be any way that an estimate would be as good as an actual counted number, but for the present, it is probably the best they can possibly do, until such time as all sportsmen who harvest a deer send in their report cards, that is.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:56 AM

One other thing... the PGC is not solely to serve hunters. The PGC exists to manage all wild birds, mammals and their habitats for current and future generations. Us hunters need to get rid of our self serving attitudes.

Quick Reply: 1 DEER AND YOUR DONE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.