Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 1 DEER AND YOUR DONE >

1 DEER AND YOUR DONE

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

1 DEER AND YOUR DONE

Old 12-19-2005, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default 1 DEER AND YOUR DONE

we are hoping the PGC listens to us hunters and make rule, 1 deer and your done here in 2G pa.also,too many doe have been killed in the 2G WMU area in pa.we cant lose all these hunters do to not seeing any deer.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:27 PM

Default RE: 1 DEER AND YOUR DONE

what part of 2g
Old 12-19-2005, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I'd let the biologists decide how many deer need to be taken. If some hunters are taking 5, then the ones who aren't seeing anything must not be thte right areas...
Old 12-19-2005, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Old 12-19-2005, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

well, i wish that was reason. are better hunters and spend more time in woods.they know where deer that are left are and when they clean out that area, they move on.others dont have time to scout every day and usually hunt where they have for years.i know where deer are and only saw 5 doe for 2 weeks of hunting in clinton county.others were in same spot as me,then miles without a hunter.most are doing more scouting than ever before do to lack of deer.even if it was 1 deer and you are done, many will still not even see a deer.i talked to many crews of 15 and they only saw 3 doe the first week..some saw none, no fawns also.its bad here in WMU 2G.i have been hunting and living here in clinton county years and never saw it so bad.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

And yet people blame the PGC, seems to me, hunters themselves are to blame.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:33 AM

If deer density is so low in the area that you hunt that you feel it necessary, why not limit yourself to one deer? Us "alpha hunters" aren't to blame. We work hard for our deer but there aren't that many of us. There sure aren't enough to do the deed that was done in the northcentral part of the state, and it isn't the Game Commission killing all the deer. Instead of whining for a "one deer and done" policy, why not let the professionals who know what they are doing manage the deer herd?
For your information, here are the PAGC total deer harvest figures for the seven years before this one:
1998-377,489
1999-378,592
2000-301,379
2001-486,014
2002-517,529
2003-464,890
2004-409,320
Do you see a pattern? First of all, it is impossible for me to understand how anyone could possibly look at these figures and not conclude that we have reduced the population of deer. Second, when over four hundred thousand deer are killed, you can't possibly believe that us "alpha hunters" got even a large percentage of them. There simply aren't that many of us. Third, do you notice that the harvest is declining since 2002? It will keep declining until the harvest number is roughly equal to the deer production for a year, which should be enough to stabilize the population at a level the forests can support without damage.
Hunting has changed in Pennsylvania. It had to change because the deer were doing major damage to the forests. We are never going back to those huge herds of deer that were so easy to find. If you love hunting, you will keep doing it and will adapt to those changes. If you don't like hard hunting, you might as well quit buying a license. It isn't going to get a whole lot easier for you.
You do have a few options. One would be to find a better place to hunt. There are areas of the state that have too many deer and not enough hunters. Another option would be to quit hunting entirely. It wouldn't me my choice, but it might be yours.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:31 AM

Mr. Rob/Pa Bowyer. The PGC are in charge of the management of the deer. Not the public. I agree with most of the people on this board that we as hunters need to take responsibility before we pull the trigger, however we have beenMISINFORMED by our lovely PGC. They continue to still saythere are to many deer when in a lot of areas there are not. They have done nothing to remedy this problem. They haven't changed WMU's to reflect that. They haven't separated privateland from public. I don't want to here that they lowered the doe tag allocation because that his a bunch of ****. There are still to many tags given and still to long of a season. They have done one fly over to see how manydeer there were. That was such a small areaCOMPARED to the rest of the state.

Mr. patrkyhntr. Iunderstand where you are coming from but don't you see a problem with the numbers you posted. They arean estimate and nothing more than that. Theyhonestly don't know how many deer are in the state and how many deer have been harvested. I really don't see how theycan implement a deer managementprogram withoutknowing this information. And they continue to say that next year we will have the same seasons. WTF!!!!!

Now to the starter of this thread. I love your idea and Iam hoping for the same thing but don't hold your breath on that one. It isn't going to happen.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:50 AM

They continue to still saythere are to many deer when in a lot of areas there are not.
I realize this can go both ways but what proof, evidence, scientific data do you have to support the aguement that a lot of areas do not have enough deer? How many deer can be supported? What data did you use to come up with that number?

Not being critical but just pointing out that making decisions based onpersonal perception of the number of deer in an area isn't good management.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:01 AM

ORIGINAL: T_in_PA3

They continue to still saythere are to many deer when in a lot of areas there are not.
I realize this can go both ways but what proof, evidence, scientific data do you have to support the aguement that a lot of areas do not have enough deer? How many deer can be supported? What data did you use to come up with that number?

Not being critical but just pointing out that making decisions based onpersonal perception of the number of deer in an area isn't good management.
My evidence would have to be myself, family, friends, and a lot of other hunters especially from this board. We are not seeing any deer on the gamelands. This is in parts of 4C, 2G, 3D, 4D.that is just off the top of my head.

Quick Reply: 1 DEER AND YOUR DONE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.