Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Mountain lion in PA   RUMOR?? >

Mountain lion in PA RUMOR??

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Mountain lion in PA RUMOR??

Old 12-11-2005, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mountain lion in PA RUMOR??

There are a few around. Nobody can deny that. They are territorial so the chance that we are going to be overrun by lions is not going to happen. When I was a kid, me and my brother saw a bobcat. Everyone told us that they were not in PA and we were seeing things. Well, low and behold, not twenty years later there was a bobcat season in PA. Chances are good that the sightings are of the same one or two animals. They do travel a wide area. They had one on the news last year near Butler. It moved on and hasn't been seen there since.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are a few around. Nobody can deny that.
Sorry livbucks but MOST people deny it, the PGC denies it and their is no agency or reputable source you can findthat will tell you they are around. All there is is unverifiable stories.

When I was a kid, me and my brother saw a bobcat. Everyone told us that they were not in PA and we were seeing things.
Whoever told you they were'nt there were full of crap. Bobcats have always been in P.A. The PGC will tell you that. So will just about any information you look up about them in any library.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:41 AM

Hey guys, miss me? Long time no read!

1st of all, with the umpteen-million acres designated as State Forest,and the kind of habitat and terrain there is, I believe they could exist. I don't think they do, but they could. Not being a wildlife biologist, I don't know how muchland they need to have to reproduce and sustain, but it seems to me there is plenty of land for it.

Again,I don't think there are any around, besides, what would they eat, there aren't enough deer to feed 'em.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

There are a few around. Nobody can deny that.
Sorry livbucks but MOST people deny it, the PGC denies it and their is no agency or reputable source you can findthat will tell you they are around. All there is is unverifiable stories.

When I was a kid, me and my brother saw a bobcat. Everyone told us that they were not in PA and we were seeing things.
Whoever told you they were'nt there were full of crap. Bobcats have always been in P.A. The PGC will tell you that. So will just about any information you look up about them in any library.

Sorry to you. To say there are none in PA would be testifying that YOU know that there are none. How can you be so sure? Have you covered every inch of PA? There have been documented cases of them. They have been on the news, casts made, etc. They can and do travel many hundreds of miles. Are you saying that when they get to the Pa border they turn around and go home?
Are there reproducing numbers? I would say probably not....yet.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

There have been documented cases of them. They have been on the news, casts made, etc
The "documented" cases should have the proof available - where is it?

News reports I have heard of are generally "reported" sightings - again, where is the proof?

And if casts have been made and verified, where are they?

Instead of asking us skeptics to accept rumor and heresay, or to prove to you they do not exist, simply furnish some real proof.

With the hundreds of people whose wives cousins barbers brothers aunt that have seen one, it should be easy. Until then, I choose to remain a skeptic.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

The case around New castle/ Butler was investigated by the GC. It roamed a wide area for awhile and then disappeared since. They made casts, etc. Their explanation was that it was an "escaped pet".
How did they know that?

Is that not documented? Sorry that the critter didn't sign an affidavit for you guys that doubt this. He seemed very nocturnal and secretive. Is thatan indication of a "pet". I would think a pet would favor humans and become a daytime pest, wouldn't you?
Old 12-12-2005, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

The case around New castle/ Butler was investigated by the GC.
Where can I read this report?

They made casts, etc.

What is "etc" and where is it and the casts?

Their explanation was that it was an "escaped pet".
How did they know that?
You pick what part of this "report" to believe?

Is that not documented? Sorry that the critter didn't sign an affidavit for you guys that doubt this.
No offence, but without telling us where we can see this report, it is simply another story - documentation furnishes proof and does not just share another story. Don't need an affadavit from the critter - one from the "them" in the report would be nice.

Steve
Old 12-12-2005, 05:18 PM

The Pennsylvania Game Commission is on record as stating that there are no wild catamounts in Pennsylvania. The do not deny that there may be the possibility of a pet catamount that has been turned loose wandering about. None the less, it is unlawful to shoot one as it is considered a protected species in Pennsylvania, pet or not

To me that sounds like a contradiction in terms. The only way it can be proven is when someone shoots one of these nonexistant creatures. Of course they would be fined, but think of what one could make selling his story and photos. I'll bet the return would far exceed the fine.

I sure hope a catamount doesn't enter the cross hairs of my .243.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Steve,
Don't bust my stones. I am not one to make rumor. It was all over the news in Pittsburgh for weeks. Alot of people either saw it or saw tracks near their houses. Hard to find the reports now as most links are now broken. But, take my word, it happened.
Here is one.
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/video/2860471/detail.html
The GC came out and basically shrugged their shoulders and left.
What were they gonna say?
The thing moved on eventually.
The proof you demand is tough to get. But, it will happen.
Cougars are hard to find even where there are good populations.
Imagine trying to pin down a handfull in this big state.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't mean to bust on you - you do seem to be sincere in your beliefs and not intent in just passing on rumors. Mostjust repeat 3rd hand stuff and get upset they aredoubted. It would be neat if they were real, but I will remain a skeptic until shown hard proof. Can't get the video to play.

Take care
Steve

Quick Reply: Mountain lion in PA RUMOR??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.