Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY catskill report >

NY catskill report

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY catskill report

Old 12-04-2005, 09:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default NY catskill report

Worst year I can remember in a long time. Sightings for the season consisted of a doeon opening day and two does today, mother and young of year doe. Even after last weeks snow fall, all we sighted were three tracks going through the property 300+acres. Heard quite a few shots below us, we are in the upper reaches of the catskills and saw quite a few bear tracks and garbage can knock overs but no deer.Don't know if DEC is partially to blame but I mostly blame it on the Gypsy moths. One of the worst years I can remember for them.They decimated the trees overstressing them to the point where they didn't produce any acorns or nuts, and I mean none. First year I didn't see a single squirrel, they apparently all left for greener pastures. Woods were deathly quiet, nothing moving. No food left in my parts which explains the lack of squirrels and why the bears are knocking over our garbage this year.Deer and squirrels were still here at start of bow season but nothing left to hold them here now. Sad part is next year should be just as bad with the gypsies as they seem to come in cycles with a 2 or three good years(for them) followed by a relative scarcity of them for5-7years, can't remember exactly. Take care all and hope you all fared better.

edit-Forgot to add, I'm in 3C and we also had antler restrictions.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:48 PM

Default RE: NY catskill report

Hunted on family property in the towns of Walton and Franklin, Deleware Co. unit 40, Saw 5 does and one small buck that wasn't able to take a shot at. Tracks in the snow was few and far between. Not going back up the rest of the season going to stick to Long Island bowhunt the rest of Dec. and shotgun in Jan. on private land. Plenty of deer down here.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Ha,Ha! My dad use to live and huntin Oneonta in the 1930's. When the deer were plentiful.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

We had 7 guys in camp in Margaretville, Delaware Cty., and my uncle shot a 7pt. opening morning. That was it. I hunted hard for 9 days and only saw a couple does. I saw one small buck, and when I raised my scope it was snowed over (talk tbout agrevating). This is turning out to be the worst season any of us can remeber. And what a shame to with the perfect weather we had.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:23 PM

I must admit...I have seen a fair amount of deer. Nowhere near the last ten years, but enough to keep me excited. Seems that the recent cold snap has made them move more, so maybe there are more deer being seen around here just cause they are on the move.
Ive seenmany a nice buck, mostly at night, but almost all were in the 4O and 4P WMU areas. I am suprised, actually, that I have seen so many big bucks in this area. Hunting pressure this season seems low, but they are still moving nocturnal, which is the reason my freezer remains empty.
Blame what you will, DEC, Winters, Coyotes....the populations are obviously low, which is kinda concerning...But, I have still seen enough bigh bucks to keep me in the woods and hunting.
They are there, you just have to find them.