Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NYSDEC is a joke >

NYSDEC is a joke

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NYSDEC is a joke

Old 12-11-2005, 08:36 AM

Default RE: NYSDEC is a joke

Nuisance permits are handled very poorly IMO. Too many deer just get killed for the sake of getting killed. I have seen them piled up in a ditch and I personally know a farmer that kills them and piles them up and burns them with his trash.........it's horrible.

There should be no nuisance permits at all.............what they should have is the ability to apply for your deer to be thinned out by the DEC. When you can't do it yourself then ask for help. The DEC could have a list of hunters for each area and when a chance comes up they would be given permission to go and take some deer. At least they wouldn't get wasted.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

Atlasman,
I hunted NY for the first time in years with old hunting friends..we almost alwayshunted private land..I had high hopes of "seeing" a lot of deer. The harvest would be just a bonus, I really mean it.
I hunted hard for 2 days and saw5 does 99% of the hunt was still hunting ..rather quick I may add. Spent more time looking for sign and covering a lot of territory hoping to find a "honey hole". Years ago this would have the total by the first day at 10 am.
Don't know what has happened but I can see things have changed..I still own a goodpiece of property in NY that boarders 1100 acres of state land. I have not hunted it in 8 years and keep it posted maybe after this weekend I will check it out and "see" what kind of sign remains after the season.
Hope things improve for everyones sake.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:58 PM

ive hunted the n.y. catskills for 25 years ,we are no where near the herd that we had back then. what bothers me is the decline of hunting deer here. the road that i have hunted on for those years the autos parked on that road has gone from 15 or so to 2 trucks on opening day.you would think that would be positive sign for the herd. nope i see far less deer now ,then when there was far more hunters .i believe it is a combination of factors including coyotes ,road hunting , jack lighting , winter starvation ,old growth forest. one more thing ,that may bother some,but i could care less, i get my hands on as many doe permits as possable, but i have never shot or will ever shoot a doe , as i see it through the years ive saved around 25 deer.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

Not sticking up for Atlasman BUT I can personally state that for years living in NY and having a camp in Roscoe NY. Hunting hard from October Bow season till the end of rifle season for 30 something years then skip 5 years and compare to what I have just witnessed this year things have changed period.
NY is still far better than some areas. BUT thats not what this is about

NY has changed period, no whinning, no crying thats just the way it is.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

one more thing ,that may bother some,but i could care less, i get my hands on as many doe permits as possable, but i have never shot or will ever shoot a doe , as i see it through the years ive saved around 25 deer.
Explain to me (anyone) - how this is a positive course of action. Worse yet are guys that "call them in" -

When you mess with the system - you mess up what gets done with the information. At the very least - you cloud the results - and force the DEC to make assumptions that YOU don't agree with.

FH
Old 12-12-2005, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know what - I'm trying to be politically correct with my responses - but - I'm not sure why.

The truth is that we/us employ the DEC. Many dozens of well trained biologists work extremely hard to meet in the middle the demands of hunters with those of outside interests - and do a really good job.Most of these guys hunt too, and understand what the average hunter wants.

If you are not seeing the deer you think you should be:

1. your used to seeing TOO MANY deer (like in your back yard)
or
2. then the population is down in your area and the DEC either wants it that way - or they are working to increase the herd.

If you cannot be happy with that - then you should bring up your concerns with you region manager.

FH
Old 12-12-2005, 09:19 PM

And if neither of those are happening. QDM your herd on private land. Because your not gunna get it on public landif that’s the case.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are not seeing the deer you think you should be:

1. your used to seeing TOO MANY deer (like in your back yard)
or
2. then the population is down in your area and the DEC either wants it that way - or they are working to increase the herd.

If you cannot be happy with that - then you should bring up your concerns with you region manager.

FH
OR MOVE!!!!!!!
Old 12-13-2005, 12:03 PM

I do not buy into that 50,000 per year deer vs. car accidents in NYS...
that would translate into
136 per day
5.6 per hour

I live in a very high deer population area in the hudson valley and I cannot tell you the last time someone I know hit a deer. I know it happens all the time but it cannot be 50,000 per year.

Old 12-13-2005, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: farm hunter

one more thing ,that may bother some,but i could care less, i get my hands on as many doe permits as possable, but i have never shot or will ever shoot a doe , as i see it through the years ive saved around 25 deer.
Explain to me (anyone) - how this is a positive course of action. Worse yet are guys that "call them in" -

When you mess with the system - you mess up what gets done with the information. At the very least - you cloud the results - and force the DEC to make assumptions that YOU don't agree with.

FH

Let me try. 5 off us hunt together and none of us use our doe permits but we do call them in. The reason is that way the DEC will think these does are being shot. If you get doe permits and don`t call them in then they will think that those deer were not taken and need to issue the permits again.If you really think the DEC goes out and counts deer herds your crazy. I think we should get a meeting set up for area hunters and then sit down with a DEC officer and talk about how they work. Maybe if we get info from them personally then we`d understand it more clearly. Just my 2 cents. Anyone in for this get together?

mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.