Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 ghost deer in pa >

ghost deer in pa

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

ghost deer in pa

Old 10-31-2005, 12:05 PM

Default ghost deer in pa

I do alot of night coon hunting in one spot every time i go there is a 12pter hanging out in the corn field its in the same area 9 out of ten times i go there ive seen it as early as 6:30pm and upto about 5:00am but when i set up for archery its gone ive stalked the intire area upto about 3 mile diameter and nothing hunted till night fall put away the bow and grabed my coon gear and sure enough there he was in the spot light

this is 100% true and other people i coon hunt with are just as stumped as me
any suggestions on bagging a ghost
Old 10-31-2005, 12:13 PM

Default RE: ghost deer in pa

rut should be coming in soon, thats prob your best bet.....trace back from where you see in the field to the thickest cover you can find.....set up along the edge with the wind in your favor and put some doe in heat out....and hope he comes out a little early.....what part of pa is this in?
Old 10-31-2005, 12:15 PM

poconos near bushkill thanks for the tip you from the area
Old 10-31-2005, 12:19 PM

i am from outside of philly but i hunt all over the state including up near honesdale, in both wayne and pike county....seems like every year where we hunt in rifle season, there is always a big deer or two that lives in the swamp....if there is a nice swamp area, you might want to try there too....good luck
Old 10-31-2005, 03:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

he stays in the ground hog holes
Old 11-01-2005, 07:27 AM

Its seems like this deer is a nocturnal feeder almost all the time. Your best chance is probably as the rut picks up he'll start thinking with that other "head". I suggest creating a couple of mock scrapes and place some scent wicks in the same area around that field.Place them inheavy woods or the thickest cover you can find, but make sure you have shooting lanes.Then I'd be there well before dawn and sit tight.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Id say in the area u see him the most frequent , put a huge scent trail all around there , and lead it right under ur stand , and hang a scent wick out , then call to him , and u should get a sighting , if not another buck should come in!
Old 11-01-2005, 09:19 PM

Thanks for the tips guys I went out last night and did not see him hope no one got to him first
Old 11-02-2005, 04:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

A caution about scents! Dont use the same scent over and over in the same area if you're chasing a mature buck. He will quickly get used to smelling it but not seeing a doeand either get suspicious and begin to avoid the area or disregard it entirely.

Try alternating different scents and use them sparingly. Thye are most effective the first time you use them so choose the timing wisely. If you must use scents again and again at the same location try a different bottle and better yet a different brand so as not to create too much of a routine.