Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Do the buck seem to be in the rut in NY? >

Do the buck seem to be in the rut in NY?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Do the buck seem to be in the rut in NY?

Old 10-28-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Do the buck seem to be in the rut in NY?

Today a large buck went by my stand.There were lots of white acorns but he never stopped to eat.He stopped with his back to me and pawed the ground and raked the branches with his antlers.
I know there weren't any other hunters.He just seemed to be in a hurry,looking for does.Has anyone else noticed buck chasing does instead of eating?Thanks
Old 10-29-2005, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do the buck seem to be in the rut in NY?

I was out hunting last weekend, and haven't seen any sign of that yet. The does are still together with their fawns. After Halloween, it shown start to pick up!!
Old 10-29-2005, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

here in warsaw there just starting to seek the doe's pretty good. this morning i busted some doe's out of the area on my way in. within an hour and a half 3 small racked bucks came through lookin for doe's. heads down and a steady clip.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

The bucks are always in rut....the rut is determined by the does...not the bucks.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

On the 21st I saw a spike try to mount a doe. yesturday I watched a five pointer search a field by sniffing for does.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:57 AM

this morning had four does come moving by my stand fast at first light.then fifteen minutes later heard noise ,grunting and wheezing a small four point came by exact run the does were on with his head to the ground-heard another grunt behind him-figured it was gonna be the big boy but guess what?NOT!it was only a spike the two of them pursued the does.My opinion the bucks are starting to search and follow does but the big ones arent stupid yet they will wait- they always seem to wait and let the young fellas run around after the does that arent ready yet-the next week or two the big ones should be on the move Mike
Old 10-29-2005, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

saw 18 or 19 yesterday, all at once and all were does and fawns except 1 1.5yr old, so i'd say no, not right now.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think there just chasing them around
Old 10-29-2005, 05:51 PM

Watched 3 bucks after one doe this morning. The big buck watched the smaller bucks do most of the chasin. The smaller bucks were doin the tree rubbin also. They were in the area for 50 minutes. Honked on the grunt tube and turned the can over a dozen times, but they didn't care about me. The only deer that came close was a button buck.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

haven't seen any evidence yet (didn't even see any deer this weekend - in the woods - tons on the way home!). not even any scrapes yet.

Quick Reply: Do the buck seem to be in the rut in NY?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.