Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Do the buck seem to be in the rut in NY? >

Do the buck seem to be in the rut in NY?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Do the buck seem to be in the rut in NY?

Old 10-30-2005, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Do the buck seem to be in the rut in NY?

bucks are not in "rut" all of the time. not until after the velvet is off of their antlers will they usually breed.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

Did not see much this weekend. I "bumped" a large deer on the way to my stand this morning. I couldnt tell if it was a buck or doe. That is the only deer I saw all weekend. Have seen some more scrape activity this weekend. Im taking a 4 day weekend next weekend and hopefully by then things will be heating up some more.
GOOD LUCK!
MIKE
Old 10-30-2005, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing happening here with the does - Oct 30th.

Seems like everything still is about 2 weeks behind!

At least we had 2 hard frosts now - and a little snow!

FH
Old 10-31-2005, 05:28 AM

I thought they were in rut until I saw a 4 point and a small spike hanging out together yesterday.. not even sparring at the least. they were actually licking each other
Old 10-31-2005, 06:08 AM

People,
I'm seeing quite the oppsosite.Every buck I see is chasing does.
Not just the little immature spikes either, 7 and 8 pointers chasing. Also seeing a lot of dead deer on the roads. Have not seen any reallyBIG bucks chasing. Also the scrapes on my area are abandoned. The rutt is on where I hunt, orange county.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:53 AM

I don't think the ruts on where i was at - allegany county. kicked a deer out going to my stand on saturday and then saw one doe just browsing a couple hours later about 80 yards away. Half of sunday - nada.

active scrapes all over the place, rubs.

With the long excellent summer we had could this have changed things? you know, moved their systems back a bit? could the warm weather be contributing as a suppressant?

No dead deer any any roads.

Old 10-31-2005, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: tonyem

I don't think the ruts on where i was at - allegany county. kicked a deer out going to my stand on saturday and then saw one doe just browsing a couple hours later about 80 yards away. Half of sunday - nada.

active scrapes all over the place, rubs.

With the long excellent summer we had could this have changed things? you know, moved their systems back a bit? could the warm weather be contributing as a suppressant?

No dead deer any any roads.

Warm weather can slow down movement during the day. It won't stop the rut, rather it'll just be more during the night with higher temps. That is my current assessment of the situation where I am in Livingston County.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:16 AM

Yea the rut is on in ny i saw a big buck doggin a doe last weekend through a cornfield
Old 11-17-2005, 02:55 PM

I have noticed a couple of real nice bucks in the fields near my house with single does. Also, second week of the season I got a nice 6 point - I saw him a couple of other times chasing a doe and he never slowed down enough for a shot. I put some doe in estrous sent out in front of my stand and I saw him coming in at about 60yrds - he stopped smelled the air and ran right in to my sent marker at 5 yrds. Story over. I am thinking that by Thanksgiving they be into rut real heavy - NYers hold tight on those doe for the first week of season and wait for the big boy comming behind them.

Old 11-17-2005, 08:29 PM

I'm seeing alot of dead deer on the side of rt 81 from Syracuse to Watertown. The bucks are chasing the does, and they are not looking both ways before they cross the road.