Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 ny southern tier - rifles vs. proximity >

ny southern tier - rifles vs. proximity

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

ny southern tier - rifles vs. proximity

Old 10-21-2005, 10:13 AM

Default ny southern tier - rifles vs. proximity

Just found out about the rifle law here on this forum. Almost bowhunting exclusively already in Allegany County becauseof too many hunters in the woods where we hunt at.

This proximity of many hunters, bullet travel and nearby cabins is almost scary to me.

I am saddened. I can understand rifles in large open areas but in our tight woods coupled with the afore mentioned, heck, this is the first time I almost feel that safety in my stand and in my camp has dropped.

These bullets are going to travel. Surethey most likey are going tostop at a tree but the odds have gone up that an accident could happen. I was not too worried about this with the shotgun.

Does anyone else feel that the shotgun offers theexcitement of having to be fairly close to the target for the shot? I see it as the next exciting challenge after the bow for deer hunting.

Tony

Old 10-21-2005, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: ny southern tier - rifles vs. proximity

Actually, I prefer the butter knife method. You have to time your jump off the stand just right, otherwise those buggers can be fast, and hard to catch up with....

I'm middle of the road on the rifle deal. So, to me, it's now law, and it'll be next to impossible to change in the next few years until statistics come out, if they show something.

I'd use it as a way of hunting with no problem. I do like shotgun hunting, but having more variety is a good thing for hunters. Let's not complain until the studies or numbers come out. As of now, I don't think there is anything that proves without a doubt that the injury rate goes up with rifles over shotgun. Otherwise, I'm sure the legislators would have listened to it.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:29 AM

I'm with Phade. Fear does not always equate with reality. Perhaps injuries will be less. I tend to believe that those who hunt deer with a rifle, do so with a greater degree of accuracy.I won't take a shot with my shotgun over 75 yards. I know some who will empty their guns shooting at a far off deer. With my 7mm-08 and a decent rest I could easily place one bullet exactly where I want at 150-200 yards. My point is, one effective bullet versus a salvo of slugs flying..... I fear the latter.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:18 AM
Typical Buck

Hello Cal-mum...

I'm on my way to the butcher right now!
Old 10-22-2005, 06:18 AM

I live just inside the Northern zone. That said I grew up in the Southern zone, and there is almost no difference in terrain. AlsoI think you will find you are safer with a rifle. Shotgun slugs tend to bust thru brush and bramble without much loss of shape or weight. On the other hand rifle slugs tend to come apart with the slightest impact. This is just my opinion and I dont want to start an argument over this.

JAKE
Old 10-22-2005, 08:36 PM

Phade,
own up! why are you going to a butcher. Come on....story...details.

BTW which butcher. I need to find one this year. I had been traveling 45 minutes before.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I live in North, and rifle hunted for yrs. To be totally honest with you. I feel safer up here in the woods with other rifle hunters, then I do in the south with shotgun hunters. Both areas I hunt north & south have plenty of woods, and similar terrain. I also hear alot more mulitple shots in the south w/shotguns. You often only hear 1 or 2 up North w/ the rifle. A rifle bullet will fragment easier, then a 1oz slug upon hitting limbs, tree's and such. I firmly believe the accuracy, and distance capabilities of the rifle will make hunters better aware of their potential. They know the rifle bullet travels much farther with greater accuracy. The mentality of the shotgun is under 100yds., less accurate, more shots needed. I personnally have never made a shot over 90yds with my rifle. The woods just don't allow it in areas I hunt. Most my rifle shots have been around 50yds. I understand many peoples concerns, but I think it deserves a chance, and believe you'll find a safer woods then you think.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

i feel much more "safe" in the woods than in the open when it comes to rifles. It would take a miracle for a bullet (rifle or otherwise) to travel very far beyond it's intended target without hitting something (ie tree). how far can you see (in a straight line) in most woods without seeing a sapling, tree, branch, etc.) If I am sitting on the edge of a field, things could be a bit different (nothing to stop a stray bullet). I don't think we'll see many issues with the rifles (I certainly hope not). comes down to hunters having to be responsible with their shots (like always).
Old 10-25-2005, 07:31 AM

Thank you for your views.You have enlightened me with some sound conclusions and experiences.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: sublimaze41

Phade,
own up! why are you going to a butcher. Come on....story...details.

BTW which butcher. I need to find one this year. I had been traveling 45 minutes before.
HAHA...for that 5 pt...There's two decent ones nearby. TD Khan in Caledonia has done extremely well with the does I've shot the past couple seasons. The cuts have been great, clean, and they make the typical sausage/hot dog stuff.

The other, which I went to for the 5 pt is Larry's in East Avon. He is a couple dollars more expensive, and to be honest, I don't think he is AS good as TD Khan is. Unfortunately, TD Khan was closed that day.

I know a couple more in the area, but these two have been the best. I know there is one in Rush by Industry. The guy is just starting out on his own from what I've heard, and he is cheap and decent.

Tonyem- stick around and let us know how your season went. Us NY'ers like to see each other do well here.

Quick Reply: ny southern tier - rifles vs. proximity

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.