Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 pre-rut in northern zone in New York >

pre-rut in northern zone in New York

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

pre-rut in northern zone in New York

Old 10-11-2005, 11:15 PM

Default pre-rut in northern zone in New York

I am going up to Essex County in the Adirondacks sometime within the first 2 weeks of November. I have some dominant buck lure, rattling antlers, and a doe-in-estrus bleat call, and a grunt call. Would it be a good time to use all of these. Some people tell me not to use the antlers at all or just lightly rub them togather, but I would think early November would be a good time to really start banging them togather and making some noise.

The other question I have is how to combine these. Do I only use the grunt before and after rattling. DoI use the doe bleat with the rattling or no......im just asking what would be the best way to combine these for the most natural presentation and when they should be used...........thanks guys
Old 10-12-2005, 12:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: pre-rut in northern zone in New York

I have not rattled much, but I seem to have the best sucess when grunting after rattling. I have seen bucks size each other up, lock horns, then start talking. As for the bleat, use a tending grunt with the doe call. That combo has worked great for me over the years, especially during the peak of the rut.