Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Anyone seeing deer in central NY >

Anyone seeing deer in central NY

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Anyone seeing deer in central NY

Old 10-04-2005, 10:15 AM

Default Anyone seeing deer in central NY

I live and hunt in the Fingerlakes region and so far during many eveningscouting trips I have only seen a doe and a small buck. Normally I would see at least a couple deer everytime out feeding in the fields before dark. We also hunt in Hammondsport,Steuben County and we aren't seeing the deer there like past years. Is the deer count down or something?Are any of you guys seeing much out there?
Old 10-04-2005, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Anyone seeing deer in central NY

I live and hunt in Steuben(WMU's 8P / 8R)about 10 minutes from Hammondsport. The deer pop. does appear to be down somewhat from where it was several years ago. Are you hunting in WMU 8P? The doe tags are pretty hard to get in that unit this year. However, there are still plenty of deer out there. This year is looking pretty good...I've been watching 7-8 different 2.5-3.5 yr. old bucks in the alfalfa field across from my house, which is my main hunting area. Right now the bucks arepretty hard to catch out before dark, but the does and fawns are out there every night. Good luck.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

while out turkey hunting over the weekend i saw several good sized doe along with a 8 point and a small 6 point... hopefully both of those deer will still be hanging out come november
Old 10-04-2005, 01:11 PM

I think it's 8P and I didn't get a doe tag there. We have property near Bully Hill Winery. I'll be there for at least the first day of gun season, possibly the second. In past years we could sit on my uncles deck and watch several different bucks in the evening. So far we aren't seeing much at all.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

skiiner.. aburn me too ive been seeing some small 1;;s but havent been out in a while
Old 10-04-2005, 05:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hunt the fingerlakes area too (mainly outskirts of Auburn). I've just recently seen the activity pick up the last week or so with the cooler nights and evenings. The weather has been so dang warm around here I think their still in the August mode[:-].Cripe it has been in the 80's the last few days. Some cool weather is supposed to be coming towards the end of the week. They're still out there someplace.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:25 PM

Im just inside the northern zone, So ive been hunting already. I missed a 4 point on saturday eve. I dont usually take small bucks, but ive never killed anything with my bow, so I took the shot. Ive seen alot of sign. Ive got a monster who keeps walking around my food plot.

JAKE
Old 10-04-2005, 11:03 PM

Ive got customers from around that area who have brought me some awlful nice bucks over the years. So if a few less deer means nicer racks, you guys are in good shape! I do hear guys talking about less deer lately too, but for every guy that complains, another guy says just the opposite. Go figure!
Old 10-05-2005, 06:10 AM

I hunt in 8W (Bath - Savona). We have 2 "basket rack" 4pts, a six and a nice 8 pt running around. We also have a big Doe with triplets crossing the road with great regularity. They better stop that or they'll only be twins soon.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

Here's a real nice 10 point...can't see the brow tines, but he has them (have a crap picture of him that show them). He has a very symetrical rack. His body is pretty big too, his front legs are massive

I added this one cause he is funny...He'll be nice a couple years, if he makes it... Got a couple more bucks, 4, 5, and 6 pointers...nothing special, but all taken this week.

PS....region 8...

Quick Reply: Anyone seeing deer in central NY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.